Author Topic: Proud Granddad  (Read 3734 times)

woody

Proud Granddad
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
3 of my Grandchildren aged from 11 to 8 said they wanted to learn how to make a pen so of we go down the workshop and they made one each and one for Mum and Dad and there little sister
What Granddad wouldn't be proud

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Proud Granddad
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »

Wow .....  well done to each of them, did they get much help from you .. there jem's, pens an all, be proud ..  very proud and keep them interested to turn more, it's good that you have the chance and that they remain interested.  I love the 1st one, reminds me of a stick of rock ... is their name running through it.

A BIG WELL DONE ...

Cheers         David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »

Wow .....  well done to each of them, did they get much help from you .. there jem's, pens an all, be proud ..  very proud and keep them interested to turn more, it's good that you have the chance and that they remain interested.  I love the 1st one, reminds me of a stick of rock ... is their name running through it.

A BIG WELL DONE ...

Cheers         David

the help they had was me keeping the tools sharp and instruction as I turned a pen showing them how the tool should be used the importance of sanding properly but in all fairness my workshop is no strange place to them nor is turning and being run through the dose and dont's in a workshop I think my workshop rules are permanently embedded in the minds in fact one of my Grandsons pulled up his woodwork teacher over safety in the workshop and refused to do as he was told which was using a junior hacksaw with a bent blade  so yes I am so proud of them all and just love sharing with them I am blessed sorry if I have gone on a bit

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
'Gone on a bit' - never, there's nothing wrong with being a proud Dad or Granddad.

Sounds like you're helping to bring the next generation of makers to the fore, well done by leading by example.

And I'm perfectly sure they will be the envy of their friends, having pens they've made themselves.

Well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »

Woody,  a good gounding an understanding of safety is the key and to how and what any tool or machine should be correctly used, something we all need to know at times.

Well done.           David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
Hi Woody,
             well done to you and the kids, in these days where kids can't kick a ball or climb a tree because of 'efn safety it's about time they were allowed to do something. And just think, in years to come when you and I are long gone what memories they will cherish.
Well done!
Regards
John BHT

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
I would like to add my 'Well done' to the whole family. The youngsters for some exquisite work and to 'grandad' for encouraging them to get involved. You've taken me back to my childhood, when my father introduced me to woodturning at the age of six. His philosophy was ' you will only get to learn how to use a tool, by using the real thing'. You learnt that sharp things DO cut, both wood and flesh, but you only do that once - a lesson learned! I dread to think what the authorities would say nowadays, when I got my own saws, planes, chisels etc. along with oilstone, file and saw setter!
Keep up the great work!!!
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

woody

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
  I dread to think what the authorities would say nowadays, when I got my own saws, planes, chisels etc. along with oilstone, file and saw setter!
Keep up the great work!!!
You would probably be hung drawn and quarter LOL

Thank you all for your very kind comment the kids were thrilled and got big heads when I told them what you all said thank you again I have been teaching my Grandchildren about woodwork for about 30 years and my own kids before that my oldest son won a woodwork compo in the cubs for 3 years on the trot