Author Topic: Apple bowl  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
Apple bowl
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
I don`t get the opportunity to turn just for fun much these days due to work commitments, but this afternoon whilst turning the planks & generally tidying my wood store  I came across a piece of apple, which if I`m honest I can`t remember cutting, but as it looked like a fun piece to turn I can only imagine I thought that same thing when chain sawing the tree.

This is it mounted on the lathe ready to spin.

After much fun & a little fighting I ended up with a 8" x 6" x 2 1/2" high bowl

I`d have liked to go a little thinner with the wall thickness but a fault started to show through seen near the rim at the back of the bowl & I was worried I could loose the back rim.

That said it was good to get a bit of fun time at the lathe, must do it more often.

Cheers.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Apple bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Now that looks like fun, but I'm surprised that if you'd left the log so long you did not remember it you managed to get anything out of it. It's my experience that Fruit wood cracks badly in spirals.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
I`ve not had much trouble with fruit woods, it`s Holly & camilla that have split badly in the past for me.

I do try to only fell in the late autumn or winter & whilst tidying up today had a look at some 6" to 8" diameter Holly trunks that are a couple of years old that I wrapped up in bin liners & so far aren`t showing signs of splitting.
I was hoping that wrapping them up might encourage a little spalting, but I`ll be happy if I just get usable wood out of them.

Over the years I`ve found seasoning timber can be a bit of a lottery, but I do seem to be getting better at it.

Cheers.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
Doug, that's a nicely turned piece, like it, well done.

I've only lost one piece in apple by foolishly bringing it in to a warm house from a cold wintry workshop having just finished it ...  >:( ... it split open across the knot in the side.

Cheers       David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''