Author Topic: Other Half  (Read 3117 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Other Half
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »
The other half of the coconut, silver birch for stem, 3.75" tall x 3.5" dia  (9.5 cm x 9 cm) fiction polish, but a rushed job on the prep...   :(  ..

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

Re: Other Half
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
Hi Dave I like that one better than the last one it look like the old style champagne glass

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
I recon you've got some very fussy birds living around you. If they insist on their seeds being served in something as fancy as this!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Like the idea of this. Mind if I pinch it as I do a lot of goblets and chalices. Is the coconut as brittle as I assume?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
Hi Dave,
            I have very recently tried to do this very same thing but ended up throwing it out for the birds . I spent days trawling the internet looking at other examples and trying to find methods etc.I made sure that I shook it every day until the milk stopped rattling so that I wouldn't have a mess in the workshop when it was finally opened(clever eh?)  ;)and then decided to mount it whole on the lathe, centered it very accurately and it turned beautifully, a nice polished finish straight off the chisel.The one thing that I didn't allow for was the variation of shell thickness and promptly turned right through it turning it into bird feed(not so clever now eh?) :-[
      I like what you have done and would be interested in your method. Have you worked out a way of hinging them yet?
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:17:31 AM »

Thank you all for comments most kind..

Woody, we can at times never or not know exactly where we come up with a design from, it is often from something we have seen at some point in time.

Bryan,  very fussy indeed ..   :D ...

Pete, feel free too as I can't lay claim as to copy right.  As for brittle no more than anything with a thin wall, if cut or broken clean in half as not to have the chance of cracks and not overtightened on the jam chuck, things are fine, John's comments lend to possible problems.

John, in the other thread "something different" I mention as to how these came about, the clean straight break, which gave the cup form, it is the truing of the rim and centering where in it's hoped to get an even skim cut which as you found gives nice finish, profiling a base to fit the cup is interesting, but once done an glued together gives a means of holding to sand the inside, fitting back on the jam chuck you can then do the shaping of the stem etc.   It can be noticed that this one did not glue up true with the cup...  a slight case of time and rushing ..  :-[  ...      Just stand as is, no hanging involved.

Cheers       David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''