Author Topic: Wood ID please?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Wood ID please?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
I was given a pile of old table tops and other bits of wood from old furniture all covered in layers of paint, varnish etc. Most is Spanish mahogany but some though it was stained dark brown came out looking like this when turned. My first impression was piranha pine as the graining is pine like and the colouring is like the piranha pine I used to use at school ** years ago. However this is so hard I am forever resharpening the tools and it comes to a shiny finish off the tool. Does anyone here have any idea if it is in fact piranha pine which I remember as being much softer or perhaps something else. The apparent ridges by the way are the grain, not bad tool control LOL. This is approx 6" tall and 5" diameter at the top. As yet unpolished.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:38:58 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Wood ID please?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »

Could you have Pitch pine ..   ??? ...  it can be very interesting as to what can be in old furniture should you get hold, as you've done of some, I've a sweet little knob on a box which had made which I was told was Teak form a Piano panel, all Igot was the knob ..  ;D ..

Very nice piece which you've turned, it may not need a finish, looks fine as it is, well done.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »
At first sight I thought it looked like American Cherry but you've worked it and are sure it's a softwood (Pine) so I'll wait out for a final decision.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Hi Pete,
           just going by the colour as it is now and the grain I wonder if it is one of the fruit woods maybe Plum?
Regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Going by the look of the wood alone it looks very much like red cedar end grain

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »
It looks like rather like a piece of timber I was given and then turned that was a piece of Acacia wood
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:09:17 PM by DAVE BADKIN »