Author Topic: Killinger Lathe Advice  (Read 19535 times)

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Killinger Lathe Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
I have a Record CL3 whick is my first lathe. I built the stand myself using 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle iron and 250mm x 6mm plate welded and bolted together. I didn't have it long before I decided to buy a 3 phase motor and an inverter and built the box of tricks to give me variable speed as I was fed up with belt changing. Now I would liketo upgrade and the 1400 looks superb but I don't suppose I'll get one off Santa!
First, apologies to Julian et al for 'borrowing' his post but I am interested to know where Terry got the motor for his Record lathe, as these are non-standard (extra long shaft) and Record Power won't sell the motor on its own, preferring to charge £799 for the upgrade kit. Can you let me know your supplier? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to everyone.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
Re: Killinger Lathe Advice
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
Hi Paul

Regards your CL3 motor upgrade you have a few options.
1. The motor that Record use is a 0.75kw 1500rpm motor made by Lenze. You can contact Lenze direct to see if they will or one of their agents can supply this motor direct to you. There contact information is: Lenze Ltd.  Priory Business Park. Bedford MK44 3WH. Tel:01234 753200. email sales@lenze.co.uk

2. Haydock Converters supply a full conversion kit for the CL3 for around £350 which includes the motor and inverter.
There contact information is : S Haydock Tel: 01254 201888. email converters@shaydock.fsnet.co.uk or www.haydockconverters.co.uk
I believe they are very helpful and may just suppliy the motor if this is what you want.

3. I took my old single phase motor to a local motor supplier and they supplied the motor and machined the casting that fits to the headstock and also bored the pulley and reverse  fitted the pulley and also supplied the inverter for about £250. You could have this done and any motor supplier/ rewinder should be able to do this and there is usually at least one in most towns. It may sound daunting but it is quite easy for these people to do.

I hope this helps and if you need any further information please contact me.

Regards and a Happy New Year

Terry
Regards

Terry