Author Topic: Rose vase  (Read 5069 times)

GwilymF

Rose vase
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
This vase is 10 1/2"high x 5 1/2"dia and is turned, textured and carved from one piece of Sychamore. The vase was painted with dark bronze metallics and the rose with acrylics. Comments and critiques welcomed.
Gwilym

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Rose vase
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
Hi Gwilym, I applaud the work you have done to make this piece but I am afraid it looks to much like pottery this may have been what you set out to achieve but it is not for me sorry. Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
Sorry but I have to agree also I have noticed that there are 3 rows of the pattern towards the base that are all the same way round and not alternated it just dont do any thing for me

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:40 PM »
Gwilym. A lot work  there and the pottery look is very successful, looks good to me.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »

Gwilym, you have achieved the thoughts which you set out on, from past WIPS' we can understand the amount of work which has taken place and this again is a stunning piece, it is beyond wood of the B & R, yet it still is under the form, as for color it is a love/hate and this is a love match, even if there is a small fault in design.

Well done, come them coming.       David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
Hi Gwilym
I think that members should forget whether or not they like the colouring/texturing etc aspect, and look at the sheer skill involved in making a piece like this, especially out of one piece of wood. For me. it's a great piece and well done.
Roger G

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Gwilym, I like the shape and would love to know what material and method you used to create the rose (Papier-mâché, polymer clay or what). A WiP would be good - please.

You don't say how you created the texture (carved, Pyrography etc.), either way it must have taken a while to achieve. You used Sycamore, which at best is a bland wood and works well with colour or texture. And I think you've achieved what you set out to create which must always be the aim. I certainly hope it was well received by the intended recipient and will be much loved.

I will say that I'm also not fond of wood so coloured that the actual wood is hidden, but I've also noticed that it seems to be the incoming thing, if some of the work I saw at Yandles is anything to go by. Lez Thorn is doing it to almost everything artistic he's creating.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

GwilymF

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »
Thanks all for your comments.  John, the piece is a replica of a ceramic piece I made when I was a potter.  Woody, full marks for spotting the cock-up.  dr4gOnfly, the rose is not a seperate piece, it is all turned and carve from the one piece of Sychamore using my router jig. the texturing was done using the Dremel and rotary burr.  I've posted some WiP photos.
Gwilym

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
Whoa, like or don't like the effect, you've just got to appreciate the amount of work that whet into making this piece.

Thanks for the WiP pic's.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »

Gwilym, wonderful to see the pictures.  Note you ran out of matt finish or was it to go for gloss with this one.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
I do admire all the skill and work that you put in it must have been a real labor of love even if I'm not keen on the vase I can see that plenty of people will just love it well done