Author Topic: After Andy's video  (Read 4324 times)

Offline KimG

• iron
After Andy's video
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
It was just recently that a browse through the various woodturning videos on youtube that I discovered Andy's "Colouring an Ash Bowl" tutorial, I was so impressed, and indeed, inspired, I was definately going to try this, I thought the green vase seen in the video looked fantastic and wanted to produce something along similar lines.

Having only recently acquire a new jet 1642 many previously impossible projects on the little coronet now became possible, among which was turning Hollow forms. I had tried one the day before and it wasn't too bad, I gave it to my sister. The next day saw me chainsawing a second log from the mid sized sycamore branch I had in the garden, it is slightly spalted and had been down for well over a year, so there is little tension left in it even if it is not quite dry.

Turning the from was again a reasonable success, it had little in the way of nice markings, being fairly plain, so I decided it was the ideal subject for a colouring.

I wanted to end up with a dark olive green and gold look, so I initially laid on an all over coat of Yellow stain, followed patches of green and the whole then overlaid with orange, the green is a bit vivid out of the bottle and the orange helps to kill it a little and mute the intensity, leaving a nice subdued forest green colour, after that I dried the stains and then overlaid the lot with three more coats of the yellow to blend the colours and tie them all together, this is in fact a technique I have often used in Watercolour painting with very thin washes of colour.

Once the colouring was complete and dry I coated the vase with three layer of finishing oil and left it overnight to dry, buffing it through the three wheel system to a soft gloss finish this morning, here then is the resulting Coloured Hollow Form Vase.

Thanks for the video Andy!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:55:58 PM by KimG »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: After Andy's video
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Hi Kim, I like this hollow form some may say a bit wide at the base but I still like it also the colouring has come out well, A couple of questions did you use the Spirit Stains,what was the wall thickness and what was the size of the piece,oh that's three Regards John

I think this posting should be moved to The Gallery what do the Moderators think?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:09:16 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
Away from home and viewing via my phone. But it looks fantastic. I like your description of using colour as well.
Will see it better when I'm home.
Thanks for posting.
Andy, more video's needed by AWGB members then.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline KimG

• iron
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
Thanks folks!  The size is 7 inches high and 6 inches wide, the wall thickness is about 7mm right down to about 1.5 inches from the base where it thickens to a final base thickness of about an inch, this is to lower the C of G and also I couldn't really reach past that with my little crown hollowing tool!

I did use the spirit stains, Chestnut brand.

Please move the post if you think it proper.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
Hi Kim

I think you've done a great job with the colouring.  Like John I'd prefer a narrower base but that just my view.

Cheers Dave

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
I'm glad you found the video of use, and even more pleased that it inspired you to give the colouring a try. Great results.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
great results
better than mine Andy made it look so easy  ???

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
Lovely piece. Much better than all my attempts so far at colouring. Love the finish.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
Home again and on my computer, I can assure you that internet capable phones do not do images like these any favours. It really is a beautiful colour effect you've created there.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!