Author Topic: HOT POT  (Read 4008 times)

DAVE BADKIN

HOT POT
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
Its been a while since I last posted, but I finally got back in my workshop (shed) and managed to turn this Bud Vase is turned from London Plain then colored with spirit stains then lacquered before being buffed with carnauba wax. It stands six and a half inches high and is three and a half inches across. I do seem to have a problem with the lacquer not drying evenly in some places it looks as though it soaks right into the wood no matter how many coats I put on. Does anyone have any advice and tips?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:23:04 PM by DAVE BADKIN »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: HOT POT
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »
I've no tips on the use of lacquer, never used it but if you think there's anything wrong with that finish, I can't see it.

Fantastic finish and the colour underneath is just right.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
Brilliant that's the word brilliant I say it is Brilliant  yes well done that man sanding sealer would stop it soaking in not that I can see any patches Brilliant shape color and finish

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
Hi Dave, I do like this Bud Vase he finish is fantastic just enough colour used I also can not see any patches and I agree with Woody use sanding could help.The other thing I think I can see is a reflection of the Photographer.Well done Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:33:31 AM »

Dave, That's a stunning piece, form and finish, besides the photographer and light reflection, it's possible to still see the grain, with the soaking in was it the end grain that was the problem.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
thanks for the kind comments chaps as regards to sanding sealer I suppose if I sprayed it on it might work is I wouldn't want to rub or brush it on for fear of moving or smudging the colours and I think it may be more on the end grain that it tends to soak in yes. it doesn't seem to matter how long I leave it I seem to have to flat it back then buff and carnauba wax it to get the luster I'm after.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
Hello Dave ,
               I like this a lot, nice shape ,nice colour ,nice finish.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
Hello Dave

I agree with all the above.  I think the colour is stunning. 

Cheers Dave

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Brilliant. I like this alot. The colour and finish look great, as well as the shape. Well done.

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
Thanks everybody I am going to try spraying on a couple of cotes of sanding sealer and let it dry well before spraying with gloss lacquer and see if that stops the lacquer from soaking into the end grain. I had thought that cellulose sanding sealer was basically a cheap cellulose lacquer so using a good quality lacquer would do the same job. am I wrong in this assumption?

woody

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
Sanding sealer is designer to seal the wood so that any finish will lay on top of it