Author Topic: how do we take wood turning i to the future  (Read 18155 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: how do we take wood turning i to the future
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
HI lionel
I think this is a great idea, very similar to what Woodturning magazine does with the GMC Forum. However, and not wanting to put my foot in it yet again, I think we first need to employ a proof reader!!!
Roger G

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
Don't you worry about that Roger, I already have one of the best working totally without thanks or accreditation on the staff of Revolutions. She does it for love!

Andy Coates

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
then she gets more than the rest of us!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
Hello Lionel,Thanks for picking up on this Idea that I posted. I certainly wouldn't have any objection to anything I have posted on the Forum published in "Revolutions" I wouldn't think any one would after all it is published here.Regards John
John Smith

Peter Einig

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »
How about asking clubs to support a local event with a hands on opportunity to turn? Materials/signage provided by the Assoc. Clubs just organise the day and provide a lathe and tools. This would build on the twitter/facebook/you tube threads and scout hands on, but also makes turning available to others. A commitment over the next three years would be a way of assessing how succesful the stratergy was. Makes use of 'grants for special events' idea P4 Revs. Full discussion document forwarded to Reg and Lionel.

They are out there but we must try everything to find new turners.

Peter

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
Now I have a retraction and apology to make.

Just back (well fed and watered as well) from the Westonbirt Treefest and one of the people I met was a teacher who is using turning to teach woodwork to (as he put it) some of his pupils who are having problems with carpentry joints.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-treefest

I introduced him to the director of the Max Cary Woodturning Trust and left them discussing the possibility of them doing a day’s tuition under the AWGB trained tutors we have to help progress them in their skills.

So turning is taught in some schools and there is an interest that needs fostering.  So Peters idea of supporting local events, of getting out and opening our doors to the young has much merit.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Peter Einig

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
Thanks for your comments about getting to the younger generation, but hands on stuff as I suggested means we would reach all age groups. There is a tremendous potential with under 20's but there is equally a vast number of older potential turners. We just need to find a way of tapping into this reserve of talent.

Peter

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
In my official capacity as SW rep I have this afternoon taken the opportunity to visit the Youth Training event held at Stuart Mortimer's workshop. There were 10 young people there all turning various bits and pieces with help and tuition from experienced and professional turners.I was delighted with the attitude of the students who obviously have a desire to learn but also with the patience and tutoring skills of those doing the teaching. Although serious turning was being done the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and the quality of the work produced was very high. I have witnessed the next generation taking woodturning forward and you could not wish for a more pleasant and polite bunch of young people to carry our craft onwards. Jointly funded by the Worshipful Company and the AWGB there is no doubt in my mind that this is a worthwhile venture and is certainly value for money.
          So when someone asks these young people"what did you do over the bank holiday?" instead of the standard teenage reply"not a lot" (I know, I had teenagers!) they can answer something like"I made a bowl,and a kaliedescope and a pen and a spinning top and a...."
         To top it all I could not decide who was having the most fun, the students or the teachers!
Well done to all involved with this particular event.
Regards
John Aitken
SW rep AWGB

Andy Coates

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »
Peter...thank you for your suggestions regarding individual clubs and the part they can play in taking woodturning to the "next generation".

In theory it's a good idea, and often in practice to, but the potential for problems remains.

From personal experience at AWGB supported events of this nature it very quickly became apparent that just because an individual turner is willing, it doesn't automatically follow that they are either capable or qualified (in the loosest sense) to tutor. This was the seed that grew into the AWGB Tutors' course.

As an association we cannot, and perhaps wouldn't want to, stop any group running such an event - and they often do regardless - but if it were my personal decision I would insist that every tutor had undertaken the course prior to teaching youngsters.

If we were to formalise any such activity to the extent you imply then I think it would have to be a mandatory stipulation. The other issue is one of cost effectiveness. At fear of repeating myself, we are an Association of members, and have duty to use subscriptions efficiently. Providing a large number of clubs with materials, expenses and display banners Etc., would not, in my experience of similar events, constitute a financial efficiency at present. Should the situation change after Charity status is achieved then this might be something we could re-visit in the future.

For those who feel they would like to be invloved in an activity of this nature there is already one group with a wealth of experience who are looking to expand it around the country - East Herts Woodturning Club. I have already made pleas on a number of occasions for clubs to contact me concerning this, and to date have had none. So I think the likelihood of undertaking a committment for another, almost tandem, scheme is at present unlikely.

If this reads negatively then I apologise. Nothing would give me, or the EC, greater pleasure than a host of such schemes running across the country, but they must be regulated, formalised, and accountable if they are to be AWGB sponsored events.