Author Topic: how do we take wood turning i to the future  (Read 18157 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: how do we take wood turning i to the future
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
Looking at many of the answers to this question, several of them seem point in one direction but none of them have yet mentioned the actual word;

Advertising

I’m not suggesting that we go out and start getting adverts put on TV, or our own TV channel (but there are many craft channels out there) but modern advertising (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Flicker etc) has been mentioned several times and we now have several of them. Andy, my voice in thanks along with everyone else for these.

But can we expand on that. On one of the TV channels they are repeating the Monty Don programme where he goes through old crafts and the greenwood turning is one of them. I have seen this referred to in many other places (and forums), we need more of the same and covering more modern turning and work.

Also reading through there are many instances of clubs and the AWGB arranging training days.

Excuse the quick detour – I used to be a soldier, heavily into Adventurous Training. We were regularly asked to assist local and national charities in their fund raising events. They would always invite the local TV network along to film the event and interview people, not always but quite often there would be a bit on the evening local news as a fill in item.

Can we get the same, when a club is running a training day for the scouts or similar, or as the AWGB Exhibition moves around the country, can the organisers invite the local station in to film it or a local newspaper to report on it, to get our image out in-front of Joe Public.

That would be the start of expanding our image to the local population, and as each area is covered slowly the country will be encompassed. For each new member raised through this medium the number of people touched will grow (friends, families and work colleagues etc.)

It does not address the other side of the question, having Turning recognised as an art form, but as what we do becomes seen more often, as some of the beautiful pieces produced become more visible to the public, well hopefully, things will develop.

As I said previously – your turn, support me or argue against, but please, don’t read and pass on. All thoughts on this question  have much value and worth.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
It has been mentioned a few that we need to move away from round and brown I cat totally agree with this R/B is in a lot of cases a turners bread & butter also a newbie needs a good solid place to start and some of the arty pieces although very very nice could frighten the life out of some that are new to turning and some that are not so new also as a hobby most will only turn for fun and only what they want to turn R/B is the basics the foundation of turning now I dare say some will disagree with me as indeed I disagree with them I call it personal taste both sides of the fence are  important and both needed so now I will shut up

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi I agree with you woody there should be a place for every one whether or not they are a beginner who is Woodturning as a hobby or someone turning run of the mill parts to make a living and the one turning gallery pieces.Regards John   
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
Now I do agree with Woody, there is a place for round and brown and I have been an advocate of it for years,but as time passes and your skills increase you will want to turn more complicated and different items. As someone who turns everyday for a living I can honestly say that I would earn a poor(er)living than I do now if all I made was B*R. when you think about it hobby turners(I hate the term amateur) should really be producing stuff to a higher standard than professionals as they are not constrained by time. I know we have had this conversation very recently on this forum so please excuse me for repeating it but for turning to survive it needs to evolve and boundaries need to be explored. We all started with B*R and if you looked at some of your earlier pieces(I have 2 and they make me cringe) you can see that your style and design has evolved possibly without you realising it.I have been turning now for a few years,not as long as some I know,but when I started it was normal to screw the wood to a faceplate and cover the screw holes on completion with felt,I think we have come a long way since then. Look at some of the designs in the old WT books and see how dated they appear.
       I never used to use colour on any of my stuff but do so now quite often(I even stain Oak burrs which I thought was sacrilege at one time)So without being conscious of it we are changing turning all the time and it is the acceptance of it that will keep it fresh and desirable not only as a hobby/craft/living but also as collectors/customers/admirers.
Have I rambled here a bit? I do apologise.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
round and brown has its place so dose the more adventurous work
i turn wood for the plesure of it in fact for my own countless bowls and othere items have been smashed, burned or other because i was not enjoying the proses or did not like them

Andy Coates

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
This is a huge question, and Ian’s initial question was never a problem. We, the Association, are always open to new ideas. Whether or not these are taken up is another matter. It may be that we simply do not have the time or expertise at a given time. I know I keep labouring the point, but we are a voluntary committee and can only do so much at any one time.

Advertising would be great, but any program of advertisements that would be likely to result in a pay off would be financially crippling for the Association, and leave nothing left to provide the member benefits we offer as inducement. Sadly we are always in the position of weighing the cost benefits of everything we do, even down to whether or not we hold committee meeting face to face or via internet software-based conference calls (which is currently under trial) to save travel costs. We are, as an Association of Members, accountable, and we take that responsibility very seriously. Advertising would no doubt result in an increase in members, but that increase would (IMHO) not balance the outlay.

Over the past six years I have contacted local radio, TV and newspapers countless time to get them interested in doing a piece on an event, and the response has always been “no thanks”. If we could guarantee an kitten getting stuck in a chuck they’d probably come in their droves.
The Prince’s Trust is a possibility for the future, and one we have looked at previously. Once we receive full charitable status we will be in a more solid position to engage with them.

The Association have just recently become a member of Arts England under its Voluntary Arts group, which is an initiative driven through the Department of Business Innovation & Skills, and in fact I am attending a meeting in London on the 30th which is specifically concerned with attracting new blood into craft, specifically young people. I am also now a member (on behalf of the Association) of a government steering group responsible for driving craft forward. I will report on these meetings in future Revolutions and e-bulletins.

The Association have also agreed to sponsor a national competition for voluntary craft groups (www.epicawards.co.uk), which includes those clubs and branches who do voluntary (woodturning, in our case) work in the community. Coombe Abbey club and East Herts would be ideal candidates for this in my opinion, but I know there are many more out there doing their part in spreading the word. We feel that our participation in this type of event/group/program can only serve to put woodturning to the fore where it has previously been left unnoticed and therefore unrepresented.

We now have that representation, and in all honesty we have no guarantee of it proving effective, but unless we put ourselves out there we will never know. On a personal level I have committed to the time involved to prepare, attend, and work towards a positive end. This is not, I should add, a new approach. Reg Hawthorne sat on the Craft Blueprint group and attended meetings in London and Belfast on behalf of the Association, and it is through these kind of groupings that the Association is now considered a “player” and invited to contribute to the new initiatives which derived from it.

So whilst it may not always be apparent, we are always looking at viable avenues for furthering woodturning in the UK. With all the avenues now open for the dissemination of this work, you can be assured that you will be kept up-to-date with developments.

And on a final note: I don't think it helps to compartmentalize any area of woodturning during these efforts. Woodturning is woodturning, and whilst the fresher dynamic of the more "artistic" turning is likely to attract a younger audience, we once again have to remember that the Association respresents woodturners as a whole and not show a bias for one flavour over another.

Andy

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
The work done by your self Andy and the other volantears it to be comended on the higest plane
And i will always offer my suport when ever i can

but what can us individual turners do to help the awgb ? may be that was a better question to ask ??

woody

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
I think all that you and others are doing Andy is great and I'm in agreement with Ian it is very commendable I  have been doing demos, teaching and selling in villages fetes and flower festivals in the spalding area for the last 10 years with a lot of success with a large range of ages from children to pensioners but I have now moved so I ask in the local woodturning club if I gave them the details would they take over but no one was interested I am now trying to contact organizers in the new village were I now live so I can  the same here it is very rewarding when a child takes away a bit of turned wood in the form of spinning tops, light pulls and the likes and Mum & Dad are so proud of there little boy or girl some older people also want to go on to have turning lessons in my workshop
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:10:18 PM by woody »

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
May be we should get to gether as im trying to start a lincoln woodturning club

woody

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »
I have sent you a PM Ian with my phone number give me a call

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 10:13:12 PM »
Hi guys

There is already an associuated club near Lincoln called Lincolnshire Association of Woodturners - http://www.lincsturn.org/

It's just north of Sleaford and about 15 miles south of Lincoln.

Cheers Atco

PS I'm sorry - I've gone off the subject!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
Hi Andy, I have said it before but I am going to say it again and know doubt I will in the Future Congratulations to you and all of the Committee of the AWGB for the Stirling work you all carry out we the Members should be indebted to you all.Thank You.
The small number of members who read the postings on this Forum do know what is going on but the majority do not know what goes on on their behalf.I would like to see some of these postings printed in "Revolutions" maybe in a different format but at least these are distributed to all members 
    What do you and other members think?
                                                            Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
Hi guys

There is already an associuated club near Lincoln called Lincolnshire Association of Woodturners - http://www.lincsturn.org/

It's just north of Sleaford and about 15 miles south of Lincoln.

Cheers Atco

PS I'm sorry - I've gone off the subject!

That is to far away from me I live in Nottinghamshire and as I am 70 and disabled I cant drive that far
I to am sorry  I've gone off the subject!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:35 AM »

The small number of members who read the postings on this Forum do know what is going on but the majority do not know what goes on on their behalf.I would like to see some of these postings printed in "Revolutions" maybe in a different format but at least these are distributed to all members 

What do you and other members think?
                                                            Regards John

Very good comment, and it shouldn't take any extra time to lift part of some of the posts, would it.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
I have been reading these posts, and the Facebook / Twitter offerings, with great interest over the past week or so and I do agree that the views expressed deserve a much wider audience amongst the membership. I am more than happy to attempt to pull all these threads together to make some sort of article for Revs as long as all contributors are happy to have their views published. It is always debatable as to whether they will be read by the majority, but that is another issue. The views, and actions, that have been expounded in these posts are very heartening and make one feel very positive. An even more positive outcome would be a flurry of positive responses to the advert on page two of the new issue of Revs which will be landing on your doormat any moment. Now there IS a challenge.