Author Topic: Ash Platter  (Read 5863 times)

Andy Coates

Ash Platter
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »
19" of the same tree as the ash bowl. And excuse the finger prints in the wax...'twasn't dry yet!

(somebody else upload now...I'm sick of seeing my name)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:50:30 PM by Andy Coates »

Offline simon

• copper
Re: Ash Platter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Hi Andy,

I realy like these pieces.

Could you post a link to the youtube clip when you post it please.

Thanks

Simon

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »
Thanks Simon.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxoEAMXtPE

Hope it helps in some way...

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
Hi Andy,

Another stunning grain, I too am doing nearly everything with some colour to it, are you doing it as these are the pieces that sell. I know in my area if it aint got colour it dont sell is a general rule is iot the same in your part of the country.

Just a bit of market research, as I think the public are guided by fashion trends and sub consciously are attracted to what ever the trend happens to be.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
It's what I've done for years now, Martin. I think I started using colour in real ernest in 2006, and then in 2007 I took on my first commercial unit (in the craft centre) and I ran an experiment for a year. All coloured work was on one side, all non-coloured on the other. After a year most of the non-coloured remained. I'm lucky in so much that adding colour, texture or other media is what interests me, so I get to play and then sell it. The other thing is that I tend to use only native species and only ever use exotics in small pieces from reclaimed stock or old blanks bought from retiring turners. I don't think I've ever bought an exotic blank from a supplier. In fact I'm sure I haven't. So adding colour and texture Etc. is the best way to liven up bland woods such as sycamore, beech Etc.

I've even been known to colour burr oak and yew in a demonstration, but it takes ages for the ringing sound of verbal abuse to stop sounding in my ears, so I don't do it often  ;)

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Hi Andy,
           I think this piece is lovely. I am coming around to the idea of colouring my work but the trouble is it never turns out (no pun intended) how I imagine it. Basically I'm not bad at turning but c%$p at colouring so most of my stuff stays in the white(brown and round?)
Regards
John

ps. I will post more photos of stuff but when you've seen one newel post etc.

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
Hi Andy,

A really great video - thank you for taking the time to do it.  I have satained / sanded / stained etc pieces befroe to build up colour but I have not tried selectively picking out detail in the way you show so will look forward to doing that on the next piece.

Also enjoyed your video on coring.  I have just picked up a set of McNaughton kit at a silly price on eBay - you did wave them at the end, do you have any plans to do a video with them as there is lots of 'bad' on the web on this but not much good!

BRgds

Simon

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Hello Simon, I'm glad you liked them and I hope they were useful.

I'll put the Kel Mc system on the to do list for a short video. In the meantime do a search for Bill Grumbine and have a look at his videos on the website. After Kel he must be the best McNaughton user around. It can be a difficult system to master, and that's probably how you got it for a good price, but once mastered it's about the most adaptable around and doesn't restrict you terribly.

Andy

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
I have watched a couple of your videos and enjoyed them both. I am very new to woodturning so am still revelling in the natural colouring and patternation of turned wood but maybe I'll have a go at colouring one day.

Just one small thing about your videos. It seems that somebody nearby when you are filming has their mobile turned on and now and then the interferance they cause gets through to the recording.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
Hello Statsman,

I'm glad you've enjoyed them. Don't worry about adding colour, just enjoy the turning and the wood. The time will come when you naturally want to start experimenting, and you'll enjoy it all the more then.

I know about the phone scanning problem,and I'm afraid it'll have to stay that way because as a self employed full-time turner I can't switch it off and miss a potential customer. Annoying I know, but there you go.