Author Topic: A thingamajig  (Read 4400 times)

woody

A thingamajig
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »
I don't know what to call it but here it is a natural edge thingamejig made from part of a 6ft long Holly branch some of you may remember it was propped up against my garage wall in Gedney it is 11" x 3 1/4" and a friction polish finish enjoy
I have also included a split arial version LOL

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: A thingamajig
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
To start with I'm suppressed someone has not suggested 'George' or ‘Derek’ or something like that by now, that would have been the humorous answer!

As to what to call it, I’d have thought that the word ‘Tulip’ or Trumpet’ should appear in it’s description somewhere. I’ll work on that.

I do have to agree with George in all aspects, it is well turned and well finished but it is out of proportion.

To break it down, the flare to bulb proportions should be more 1/3 to 2/3 (currently ½ to ½), as should the whole top to the overall height (currently 2/5 to 3/5), or somewhere around the Golden Mean. It would have looked more balanced.

I like the stem, the detail is crisp but my eye says it would have been happier the other way up (thinner at the top) but that is a personal preference and as always is up for people to disagree with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
Hello Woody,
                 as thingamajigs go this is the best one I have seen for ages.It doesn't matter what you make as long as you make something.An exercise like this helps not only your tool skills but also allows you an opportunity to "get your eye in". It does look a bit top heavy but it also looks nicely turned and finished and if you do not try these shapes to see if they work someone else will have to!
Well done.
Regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Thank you gents I have been ask to make another one from a log of African blackwood that I got from Ian at  turners cabin
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:22:26 PM by woody »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
Blackwood, that will be interesting.  Post when done please.

woody

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
Blackwood, that will be interesting.  Post when done please.
Will do

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Thank you gents I have been ask to make another one from a log of African blackwood that I got from Ian at  turners cabin

i look forward to seeing it

woody

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
As promised I have taken some of the comments made on the last one and made some changes and I think yes it works better this one is 14" tall with a lacquer finish and made from 1/2 of a log of African blackwood from Ian at turners cabin I had a few minor problems in the center of the log a bit of rot but nothing that 1/2 a bottle of C/A couldn't fix and it doesn't notice at all comments welcome I sent the customer some photos and he is well happy 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
Oh yes. That is better. The proportions snd curves work far better. Go use of the blackwood log.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
I agree this is much better. 

Great looking piece

Cheers Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »

O .. M .. WOW..  That is one stunning piece, wonderful form and finish, should think that they are well pleased.

Cheers        David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''