Author Topic: Simple but effective  (Read 2651 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Simple but effective
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
I haven't got the patience to go in for all the piercing and carving some of you experts do so do things a bit more simply. This is an 11"\ ash bowl with some lovely grain. I severely wire brushed the rim bringing the grain in to a strong relief as a contrast to the polished centre. The centre is polished and buffed with carnuba and the rim is simply oiled to leave it matt.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Simple but effective
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
Well I for one would not have guessed Ash just by looking at it, the grain as you note, is very lovely but not overly reminiscent of Ash generally.

And as for your rim, it's every bit as effective and beautifully decorated as many other effect we've seen in this forum.

Very well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
Hi Pete,Lovely piece the grain is stunning it looks 3D I like the idea of wire brushing.Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
Thank you one and all. The wire brushing has worked on the grain so the rim is in fact 3d and is about 1 - 2mm deep in places. Thank you both. It is definitely ash, It is an offcut from a furniture factory where it is rejected because the grain is too dramatic for the furniture. Sad innit LOL. As you say Mark, working this way I can keep labour costs down until such a time as I am famous and sought out by the galleries and charge a fortune for it LOL. Nothing wrong with dreaming LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »
Hello Pete,
             a very nice piece, i Like it.
Good to meet you at the club the other night.
Regards
John BHT