Author Topic: Apricot box  (Read 4654 times)

woody

Apricot box
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »
I have wanted to do this box for a few weeks now so today I said no to the decorating it is time for fun so of to the wokshop, the box and lid are made from Apricot and the finial from Jumping bean or more commonly known as Tamooti the box 4" wide and 4 1/2" tall  and it is 1/16" thick and undercut to the same my wife has laid claim to it and wants another one to match so it looks like another day off from decorating tomorrow what a shame LOL

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Apricot box
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
Well isn't that pretty, I do like the recessed top idea so you can leave a natural edge but still fit a lid.

And I've always had a soft spot for fruit woods.

Has the knob/finial gone on correctly as it looks like a little light showing under the right hand side?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
Hi woody,
              a nice little pot, this is the first piece of Apricot wood that I have seen turned, unusual, well done.
regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
That's one little beauty of a box, like the detail, should look nice to see a pair of them.

Cheers           David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
Hi woody,
              a nice little pot, this is the first piece of Apricot wood that I have seen turned, unusual, well done.
regards
John BHT
Sorry John I just noticed your comment on the knob your right it isn't seated in correct the good thing is I had several knobs and I was trying them out and taking photos to see which one I preferred so it wasn't fixed in but it is now
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:35:11 PM by woody »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
Hi Woody,A very nice little box and I think an original idea (no doubt someone will say it's been done before) I do admire people who can come up with ideas, Thinking outside the box they call it,no pun intended. :) ;) Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Hi woody,
regards
John BHT
Sorry John I just noticed your comment on the knob your right it isn't seated in correct the good thing is I had several knobs and I was trying them out and taking photos to see which one I preferred so it wasn't fixed in but it is now
Sorry I made a mistake I should have addressed this to dr4g0nfly not John his eagle eye spotted the gap LOL senior moment

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:23:53 AM »

Woody, I'll have to say I like the finial of the top picture, that takes this box into a whole new league.

David

woody

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

Woody, I'll have to say I like the finial of the top picture, that takes this box into a whole new league.

David

Yes so do I but he indoors wanted the small one I have had a mixed feedback on it some in favour of the knob some the finial but that's personal taste for you I suppose

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
I'm with David,

The tall finial lifts the box from a useful item to a display/art item.

I guess it's a case of your Good lady wanting the useful box - ah well we can't win everytime. But good effort on trying different configrations.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

David

Yes so do I but he indoors wanted the small one I have had a mixed feedback on it some in favour of the knob some the finial but that's personal taste for you I suppose

Hi Woody, yes it's down to the likes of the person who receives it or it's intended market.  I've not judged this on personal taste, more that the finial makes it an outstanding elegent piece..

David