Author Topic: Oak clock  (Read 3823 times)

woody

Oak clock
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »
I made this clock with Oak and gave it a slight liming it is 11" long x 2" wide x 5" tall

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Oak clock
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
Well that's an unusual design.

My question was going to be 'Did you steam bend the top section', but looking closely at the pictures, I think I can see a constant grain pattern through it, so I'm guessing you've cut it from a solid block.

Personally I think it would have looked slightly better if the grain had run straight across or up/down the clock front rather that diagonally, but then again there will be people who much prefer it your way.

Has it found a 'Pride of Place' on your mantle?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
Well that's an unusual design.

My question was going to be 'Did you steam bend the top section', but looking closely at the pictures, I think I can see a constant grain pattern through it, so I'm guessing you've cut it from a solid block.

Personally I think it would have looked slightly better if the grain had run straight across or up/down the clock front rather that diagonally, but then again there will be people who much prefer it your way.

Has it found a 'Pride of Place' on your mantle?
Hi your right it is cut from a solid block and I see what you mean about the grain I hadn't noticed it before I will do it differently if there is a need to make another one there is a clock on the mantle I made a few years ago and her indoors wont let it go for love nor money LOL so it is on display with some of my other turnings in the hobby room waiting for someone to fall in love with it it is the second one I have made the last one sold within a few days
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:55:29 PM by woody »

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Hi Woody,
              I do like it but I have to agree with dr4gOnfly about the grain. Nice piece of work though.
Regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »
Ok so I think I will have to make a new bit live and learn LOL

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »
Looking at it again I now notice the lighter ring around the outside of the clock piece. Have you inset something (Boxwood stringing) or is it a groove that has held the Liming wax you mentioned?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Looking at it again I now notice the lighter ring around the outside of the clock piece. Have you inset something (Boxwood stringing) or is it a groove that has held the Liming wax you mentioned?
It is a groove that has retained some of the liming wax it don't notice that much in real life

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
Hi woody

I like this design. 

Cheers Dave

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
Hi Woody, I like this unusual design very much this must be unique well done.Regards John
John Smith