Author Topic: Finial pot  (Read 9341 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: Finial pot
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
Hi Brian
According to Microsoft spell checcker it is correct,but it's a clumsy word.
Criticising is better but has adverse connotation. How about a good phrase like " indulging in constructive criticism" ??

What's wrong with "commenting on" ?? That could be either constructive or destructive.

Tony Malin

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi Tony
I think what has been uncovered here is the minefield, which is the English language. You suggest I should include the word 'critsism' instead of 'critique' when they have very different meanings, one negative and possibly offensive and the other positive and, hopefully, helpful. You then fall into a similar trap yourself by using the word 'either' when, I'm sure you meant to say 'neither' in your last sentence.
Upon such misunderstandings rests the willingness of members to give of themselves and the ultimate success, or otherwise, of the forum.
All the best
Brian

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
Hi Brian

I obviously didn’t make myself clear. Having dismissed “criticising”, and as regards “commenting” I did mean “either” so by inference that’s not very suitable either. The key word is “constructive”. However, I think on a friendly forum it should be taken as understood. But please ditch critiquing.

BTW My researcher informs me that in the most up to date dictionary "critique" is listed as a verb "to critique", the present participle being "critiquing" meaning to critically examine.

Tony Malin

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
Hi John
I have the feeling that your post has been hijacked by members who have, or think they have, a complete understanding of the English Language, Can we please get back to what the gallery is really for. That's me put my foot in it!!!!!!!
Roger G

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Hi Roger, Well said let the Gallery be for showing Members pieces and for comments by others. I do not think you have " put your foot in it " it needed to be said. I am surprised one of the moderators never picked this up.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »
Fair point Roger and John.

A bit of idle banter has rather taken this thread off track.  Apologies to John

Cheers Dave (as both culprit and moderator!)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
My appologies for my part in the diversion
Brian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
So nearly a month has gone by since our discussion on the finial pot. It did go a bit haywire but if we had all been talking face to face I think the same would have happened anyway,no damage done.
Just to let you know that the piece did sell before the end of last month so it wasn't on the shelf for very long.Now that could be looked at 2 ways,either the holiday makers will but any old bit of tat to take home with them or I do get discerning customers,I will let you decide which opinion I prefer. ;)
    The day I sold it(for the asking price) I also sold 2 more.So I am a happy bunny at the moment ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »

John, THB (The Happy Bunny) you have discerning customers ...   ;) ...

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Well done John it was to nice a turning to sit around long bet you have one very happy customer

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Sold three! - not a fluke then.

Maybe we'd all better satrt making some like it!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!