Author Topic: Old wood Lathe  (Read 405 times)

Offline Paulludd@hotmail.com

• iron
Old wood Lathe
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:51:36 PM »
Hi
    I am new to posting in a forum, so please forgive any mistakes. I am not a turner as yet, I love working with wood and have been doing so for many years. I recently have been given an old wood lathe, I haven`t a clue what make it is as the name has worn off, but know its old, hopfully someone will know? It  does work but needs work to tidy it up. I am having trouble with the tail stock? I can knock out the centre, but it does not want to turn? it seems to be lose in its mounting, but just wont move in or out. Is it surposed to?   
Thanks
              Paul

• iron
Re: Old wood Lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:54:10 PM »
Sorry forgot pics

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 07:50:51 AM »
The black handwheel is supposed to move the quill in and out. Does it turn? It may be seized so some penetrating oil or similar may be required and once you have it  moving remove the excess oil. Hopefully someone else will answer with a lathe make, I suspect it is one of the early Chinese ones that were produced for many different manufacturers.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 12:25:48 PM »
Also not sure on the lathe single bar lathes were popular back in the 70's but I don't know this one!

As above the wheel should move the quill in and out, once it is free look for a grubscrew holding the wheel to the shaft and you can remove the entire assembly for cleaning.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 04:59:27 PM »
Thanks for replys. I have tryed to free up the wheel, with no sucsess as yet. The shaft inside the caseing seems free, but the wheel wont budge. The locking pin is ok and I can remove the centering pin.

Paul

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 07:32:01 PM »
Chances are that the outside of the quill has rusted and attached itself to the tailstock.

1 Take the grub screw out of the wheel so it comes off (normally a push fit weld by a grub screw onto a flat)
2 Remove the lock screw (normally on the back of the tailstock, if it isn't obvious can we get a picture of that side please)
3 Try to unscrew the drive screw from the back end (should come out once the wheel is off)
4 Use penetrating oil and a mostly safe drift to get the quill out. A rocking motion of 2 taps from the back and one from the front should get you there
5 Clean everything and re-assemble.

Some grease on the thread portion is OK, between the quill and the tailstock I prefer to use machine wax as it doesn't collect sawdust.

Look forward to your progress report

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 05:04:34 PM »
Hi
     Thanks for info. I managed to locate the grubscrews at the back of tailstock, one was hidden by the stop knob. The whole shaft came out nice. found the grub on the wheel, but the wheels stuck tight, lubing up to free?? is there surposed to be a threaded part to move the quile in and out? The shaft just seems to move by pushing??.
I think I have found the make? I think its a Tyme?  Possably a SL750?

Paul   

• iron
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 05:09:57 PM »
Sorry forgot pics again.

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 05:11:35 PM »
Pic

• iron
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 05:12:20 PM »
pic

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 12:07:34 AM »
As you've established the quill moves freely in the tailstock, the problem lies with the stuck thread. Probably what has happened is that the thread has been wound all the way in and is just locked tight. I suggest you refit the quill in the tailstock, replace the grub screws and locking screw then try applying more pressure on the handwheel to free up the thread. You will probably find as soon as it moves, it runs freely. I have come across other lathes where the thread locks if wound all the way back in.

You probably need to rotate the handwheel clockwise (looking from the back end of the lathe) to advance the thread.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 07:27:31 AM »
You might find this page interesting/valuable...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/page3.html
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 10:20:17 AM »
As Paul said the thread is stuck, though it didn't look fully locked back in the first picture you posted it may well be. what you have in the last picture is the quill assembly inside the quill is a thread and that is turned by the wheel to advance / retard the quill position. Your next task is to get that thread moving, take it all the way out and clean everything.

• iron
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »
Thanks for the link, very usefull. I will have a go at freeing the theard, just a little worried about breaking the plastic handle? thats stuck on as well, wont budge, got the grub screw out but wont budge. Will have to bite the bullet. Would anyone know if theres any were I can get a manuel?

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 07:07:09 AM »
Would anyone know if theres any were I can get a manuel?

Paul

Try the link I just gave you...a part of the service that this site provides is to supply manuals for old lathes
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.