Author Topic: Club Constitution  (Read 371 times)

Offline Alex Lambie

• iron
Club Constitution
« on: February 27, 2024, 09:57:39 PM »
I have been asked by my club (Red Rose Woodturners) to try to compile an up to date Club Constitution. I am hoping that someone out there may be able to send me a copy of their Club constitution to at least give me a clue as to what is required. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thank you and best regards
Alex.Lambie

Offline Richard_C

• iron
Re: Club Constitution
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 02:09:03 PM »
The AWGB Articles of Association (AWGB Website, resources, documents and forms) might be a good place to start.  You won't need all the content but the structure might be suitable.

I've been involved in a few similar things over the years.  Right now I'm doing the articles for our village rooms/community building, its all working fine but it was written in 1920 and refers to things that no longer exist (committee has one representative of the men's club ....what men's club?) so its just a tidy up and modernisation.  Sometimes though a review is to fix a particular problem - who has the authority to decide, spend etc.  So be clear about the objectives of your review.

Post pandemic I've always put in a clause that the committee/trustees or whatever can meet remotely provided all members are given notice.  One quite big organsation I was part of had a rule that all decsisons must be taken by Trustees meeting in person ..... constitutionally awkward because to change the rule we had to meet in person to say that we didn't have to meet in person.  We just met remotely anyway and if challenged would have pointed at the Covid regulations, but better to have the capability written in.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 09:11:47 PM »
There is a basic constitution in the AWGB club startup pack - ask your regional rep for a copy.

Offline Alex Lambie

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 07:43:57 AM »
Thank you Paul and Richard. Very useful information.
Best regards
Alex.Lambie

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 10:58:59 AM »
Alex when I was chairman of the RPT and had to write policies etc. I would  write what I thought was suitable and then put it in front of the committee for their consideration.Inevitably some of them would come back with better policy than I had written, or the same written better so it is always worth making it a team effort.