General Category > Gallery

Ash burr bowl 2

(1/1)

willstewart:
Another bowl from the ash burr - the tree was the same but the wood looks a bit different, with less grain.  Possibly this one was older wood.  280mm diameter and wax finish.  The shape was largely determined by the shape of the remaining burr after two thick slices were removed as possible table tops.  Lighting affects apparent colour - visual appearance somewhere between!  Thickness around 5mm in most areas.

Wood spinner:
Very nice turning and timber , I am not overly keen on work with bit's missing , Some do some dont
Thanks for showing .

willstewart:
Wood spinner - I sympathise to an extent but if the choice involves making the piece a good deal smaller a small bite out is possibly best!  We have a dining table made from bookleaved burr elm planks (not wood turning of course) that is about 1*2.5m but would be >150mm narrower without a small 'bite' out of each side on the edge of the original tree.  It does emphasise the real tree origin, is a minor defect and makes a bigger table!

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on January 31, 2024, 10:27:36 AM ---Very nice turning and timber , I am not overly keen on work with bit's missing , Some do some dont
Thanks for showing .

--- End quote ---

I have to agree. If it was a small void then filling with epoxy might look ok, but not so much on an edge like that. Each to their own.  ;)

willstewart:
Interesting comments! 

So this dish was made from the same burr (to the side of the other) and has no cutout but does include a bark section (& a small hole where a knot came out).  It is about the same size but shallower (& I have stained the back black - which does leave some grain visible).  I have also added a dark ring (pencil) which is patterned by the grain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version