Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Gloves
« on: January 10, 2024, 08:51:06 PM »
I think we had general agreement that wearing gloves whilst using a lathe is not a good idea. I have however, just seen these. So if you must wear gloves on the lathe perhaps these are a good option?

https://www.axminstertools.com/uvex-phynomic-x-foam-finger-protection-gloves-ax1040319

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 09:33:25 PM »
Personally I would still not wear them. There is a very real danger of a torsion injury.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:21:02 AM »
I agree, I also would not wear gloves, only in part for safety the other part is often a real delicate touch is needed with the left hand (or front hand if cutting left handed...) 
But as you say if they tear as easily as skin if you must wear them at all that is a possible way forward. 
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:42:39 PM »
I only mentioned it because some turners say they have to wear gloves because the shavings are too hot or they have arthritis etc.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 09:42:44 AM »
I started wearing fingerless gloves just over a year ago because of a potential blood disorder and arthritis in my thumb joints. Tight fitting when first used and I am now on my second pair because stitching started to go around the end of one finger. About £8 from Toolstation. Worth every penny.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 11:35:20 AM »
I started wearing fingerless gloves just over a year ago because of a potential blood disorder and arthritis in my thumb joints. Tight fitting when first used and I am now on my second pair because stitching started to go around the end of one finger. About £8 from Toolstation. Worth every penny.
Worth every penny until you lose a finger. Dave if the stitching is going around the end of one finger you should ask yourself if you are quick enough and strong enough to pull your finger away if the thread gets caught. The other thing I would add to Bill's post, if the shavings are too hot turn the speed down. Also if you have arthritis you should alter your tools or the handles and not your hands (through wearing gloves).
And I know I may come in for a bit of stick over this but I am industry based and I have seen so many accidents caused by the wearing of gloves by people that thought they knew better.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 01:22:55 PM »
Side issue strange thought... Arthritis is often mentioned as an issue, as I don't suffer from it I am not the person to solve the problem... But I was wondering what the problem is that gloves solve, is it the cold of the metal? in which case warm it up! or the size of the bar? which is where my head started wandering about a bit! could you turn a sliding handle, i.e. a tube that fits over the tool increasing the size to add your downward pressure to which would also insulate you from the cold of the metal?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 04:13:06 PM »
Just made a video about the idea mentioned above... https://youtu.be/zSpuK4zgYyw could those with Arthritis check it out see if it is a good or bad idea, if it is good share it wide, most important comment on the video so others may try it out if it works.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 06:19:54 PM »
I have osteoarthritis . I only use a glove when removing lots of wood as the shavings get very hot and burn my hand
No glove for normal finer detail work , I have not found the cold to be an issue.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 06:30:25 PM »
I have osteoarthritis . I only use a glove when removing lots of wood as the shavings get very hot and burn my hand
No glove for normal finer detail work , I have not found the cold to be an issue.

Is that due to an extra sensitivity? I seldom notice the shavings are hot and if I do I can support from under the tool or further from the toolrest. I have made handles for things especially for Arteritis sufferers in the past, those were mainly larger shapes to allow the palm of the hand to do the work in place of the fingers. Please give my "tube" idea a go, and let me have some feedback on if it is beneficial or not.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 04:28:29 PM »
Side issue strange thought... Arthritis is often mentioned as an issue, as I don't suffer from it I am not the person to solve the problem... But I was wondering what the problem is that gloves solve, is it the cold of the metal? in which case warm it up! or the size of the bar? which is where my head started wandering about a bit! could you turn a sliding handle, i.e. a tube that fits over the tool increasing the size to add your downward pressure to which would also insulate you from the cold of the metal?

I watched the video with interest Pete. I like the idea - certainly would make the metal shaft of the gouge bigger. I will certainly give this a go when I get back in the workshop. My initial problem was not wanting to stop turning because of a blood disorder and potential bleed. That has now gone but I found the fingerless gloves a solution to my arthritis. Strangely it was the right glove stitching  which broke which is when I changed gloves.