Author Topic: First Proper Lathe - Vicmarc, Stratos ?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Gibletz

• iron
First Proper Lathe - Vicmarc, Stratos ?
« on: December 22, 2023, 06:17:50 PM »
Hi all, I had a go at woodturning for the first time a couple of years ago when I bought a lathe just to use up some trees that were felled in my garden, it just felt wrong to burn them.
I bought an Axminster 370 and it was ok to learn some basics but it has no speed control and it really needs it.
I have decided to sell it and buy something new.
I have narrowed it down to a Stratos XL (possibly 230) or a Vicmarc 300 but I dont have any experience with these machines, I just dont want to buy anything that would make me think I should have spent more money or may have to upgrade in the future.. I see these as something that would last me for as long as I can stand in front of it.

which of these lathes would you suggest is the better/more versatile/etc
does anyone have any other suggestions?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: First Proper Lathe - Vicmarc, Stratos ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 08:56:47 PM »
Hi, Depending on your location I have a used VL300 that is for sale at half the price of a new one
You could come and have a look if required
I am in Boston Links

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 12:50:27 AM »
Hi, Depending on your location I have a used VL300 that is for sale at half the price of a new one
I am in Boston Links

Now that is an offer worth a train ride!!

Everyone has a favourite lathe and when you get up to this quality level it is only going to be small details that make the choice. One of the important details will be your workspace and how well the lathe fits into it. The other important consideration is to get your hands on them and preferably turn a few things because the ergonomics of where the levers and handles fall into your hands will find your personal favourite lathe
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Gibletz

• iron
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 02:00:38 PM »
I am in Boston Links
I am in Wales, somewhere around 5 hours from you :(
I used to have a van that would have fit any lathe inside but im a car driver these days and I dont think my little motor would cope with bringing that back..
we talking around the 3K mark ? does it come with accessories / chucks etc?

I was looking at possibly visiting Simon Hope, he has both lathes there and the VL300 is just under 6K but thats a 5 1/2 hour drive for me :(

I dont know any other local turners so that might be the best thing to do.  go and pry around their workshops :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 02:04:02 PM by Gibletz »

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 05:31:43 PM »
Have you had a look at the AWGB club map  https://www.awgb.co.uk/club-map/

There might be a club near to where you might find some local turners.

John

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline Gibletz

• iron

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 07:19:52 AM »

I am in Wales

Whereabouts in Wales...I am in Bala and have the Stratos FU230 long bad which you're welcome to come and have a look at and even try out. I bought it from Simon and I rather doubt that you could find a better supplier to deal with. Excellent service.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Redwill

• iron
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »
You have some good advice here,    Think about what you want the lathe to do,  Headstock that swivels has not been mentioned .    Vicmarcs  are great lathes  The 300 being the top of the range but it has a fixed head I believe but it would not put me off.     
!0 years ago a bought a Vicmarc  VL175 ( used),   It has not missed a beat but I wish  I had done more homework as it was not long before I realised that more clearance over the bed would have been better for me.   A large lathe will turn small items but a small lathe will not do the big stuff is very true thing the many turners will say.
Good luck with whatever you choose but be sure it is right for what you want to turn

Offline Gibletz

• iron
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »

I am in Wales

Whereabouts in Wales...I am in Bala and have the Stratos FU230 long bad which you're welcome to come and have a look at and even try out. I bought it from Simon and I rather doubt that you could find a better supplier to deal with. Excellent service.

Les

Thanks Les, I am near Llandovery so quite some way from you.
I am very very tempted by that Vicmarc that woodspinner has for sale, my biggest problem is getting it !

Offline Gibletz

• iron
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 09:18:56 PM »
You have some good advice here,    Think about what you want the lathe to do,  Headstock that swivels has not been mentioned .    Vicmarcs  are great lathes  The 300 being the top of the range but it has a fixed head I believe but it would not put me off.     
!0 years ago a bought a Vicmarc  VL175 ( used),   It has not missed a beat but I wish  I had done more homework as it was not long before I realised that more clearance over the bed would have been better for me.   A large lathe will turn small items but a small lathe will not do the big stuff is very true thing the many turners will say.
Good luck with whatever you choose but be sure it is right for what you want to turn
yes the headstock swivel is one thing making my decision hard but to be honest I have never turned the headstock I have and if I have enough swing, I cant see myself needing it, especially with that vicmarc which comes with the outboard attachment.
it mainly comes down to not really knowing what i want or need.  I have been doing it for 2 years and probably made about 60 bowls, some boxes and eggcups etc etc and thats no problem but almost all the wood I use is green and my current lathe struggles with it because of the weight and imbalance.
I just want something good with speed control and I dont wanna have to buy another one so I need it to last 30 years or so ;)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 10:22:55 PM »
I’m not sure but I think it may have been Stuart Batty that said he didn’t like lathes with swivelling heads?  I’m not keen on the concept either.  My ideal lathe if I had the space would be a Powermatic 4224B but it would be overkill for what I do.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 12:10:14 AM »
Swivel head lathes are fine as long as there is a simple positive alignment to get the spindle and tailstock in line again. Swivel head gives the advantage of larger capacity for bowls and platters and for hollowing, a more comfortable position rather than having to work along the bed.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 12:45:31 AM »
That’s fine in principle but from the number of comments I’ve seen online, not in practice. Axminster even sell a tool to realign the head and tailstock.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-lathe-alignment-centre-2mt-102427

A far better solution is a lathe head that just slides along the bed. It allows over size turning (with an extension) without losing alignment with the tailstock. Several companies make such extensions.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »
Referencing Bills picture above I avoided parting with too much hard- earned by having 3 heavy steel tubes welded into a free standing tool rest. The only swing restriction with this arrangement is the building itself. My aging bones now avoid such heavyweight work so If anyone would like to make me an offer for it I'm situated on Norfolks East Coast.
Brian