Author Topic: Myford ML8 leaking oil from the outer bearing  (Read 528 times)

Offline Peter Lineham

• iron
Myford ML8 leaking oil from the outer bearing
« on: December 06, 2023, 08:34:03 PM »
I have acquired my Dad’s 1970 Myford ML8 lathe and got it moved and running.  I have retained the 12x3 inch plank that the lathe was originally mounted on, though I have shortened it.  The frame work is all new. I have used it for a few hours and done a little turning. On Monday, the usually more leaky outer bearing (leakier than the inner from new) was unusually very low on oil and when filled up, the oil immediately could be seen exiting from the bottom of the adjusting collar.

The spindle appears to be true and I cannot feel any play. A 5~10 minute run and the outer bearing seemed to run hotter than the inner. I have removed the rear bearing cover but I could not see anything obviously wrong. There seemed to be a bit of vibration when running, but I cannot say if this better or worse than previously.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can resolve this please?

Thank you.

Offline Richard_C

• iron
Re: Myford ML8 leaking oil from the outer bearing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:16:24 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that ML8s do leak a bit of oil, the idea being you add little and often and it runs through the bearings.  That might be mis-remembering so don't rely on it.

If you go to this page and scroll all the way down, and then click the "more ML8" button at the bottom you will find a few photos and cutaway drawings which might help you:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 03:10:41 PM »
I can’t remember what lathe it was but I remember someone replaced the bearings on an old wood turning lathe with sealed for life units. Perhaps this is possible on the Myford?

Offline Peter Lineham

• iron
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 09:41:46 PM »
Thank you for the replies so far. The oil bearings on the ML8 certainly leak and need oil adding before each use. However, the outer bearing is now leaking oil almost as fast as I can put it in. Not sure it is sensible to run like this. The inner one is still behaving normally.

I had seen something elsewhere that mentioned dry bearings, but no part numbers. Looking again tonight, I have found another web page that suggests the numbers are on the bearings and another that offered MJT1 (outer) and MJT1-1/8 (inner) as the numbers for the imperial version of the lathe. These are readily available, though not low cost.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 11:39:11 PM »
Looking at the Lathes site they are angular contact bearings so they may need adjusting? Whether this will slow down the oil leak though I’ve no idea.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 04:34:10 AM »
If you plan on keeping the lathe long term , Put a new bearing set in and see what happens , Should be good for years then.