Author Topic: Box lids warping  (Read 609 times)

Offline Caroline31

• iron
Box lids warping
« on: December 03, 2023, 09:47:06 PM »
Hi
Im a novice, and have been making boxes, but I am finding that the lids warp and lengthen in direction of the grain so they then dont fit the base unless the grain is aligned.  Is it better to make end grain boxes?

Thanks for any advice. 

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Box lids warping
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 12:25:12 AM »
Yes end grain boxes are more successful, but types of timber and how well seasoned it is is the real key factor in choosing the design.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 04:17:20 AM »
You could part turn the lids leaving extra thickness then when fully dry finish turn them , That may help.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:56:53 AM »
Fully seasoned end grain should yield the best result but also bring the blank indoors for a few weeks for it to acclimate before turning. Dense timbers like box seem to move the least after turning.

Offline Caroline31

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 07:57:59 AM »
Thank you everyone for your advice, I have been using small bowl blanks that I bought, presume well dried.  The latest one is olive ash with a beautiful grain, but I am so disappointed with the fit of the lid now even though it was so tight before!  Will try to have more patience and part turn as suggested.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 08:05:07 AM »
As well as the drying out movement mentioned above, it is also important to consider that parts of trees grow with various inbuilt stresses, due to wind resistance, weight of branches, etc. These stresses will need time to work themselves out. This is why things like top end snooker cues spend years in the making, most of which is waiting time.
It's also worth mentioning that only other woodturners are impressed by tight fitting lids!!!
Brian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 09:19:50 PM »
The wood is shortening across the grain rather than lengthening along the grain.

If you want stable boxes with good fitting lids you need to stabilise the wood in the environment it is intended to live - so in the house rather than in the workshop. Then take the wood back to the workshop when you turn the box but don't leave it there long enough to readjust to the increased humidity.

Also worth bearing in mind is that wood can release inbuilt stresses and distort as it is cut even if fully dry so to be absolutely sure, rough turn the box as well as acclimatising it.

End grain boxes have a higher chance of remaining circular but that can be variable depending where the blank was cut from the log.