Author Topic: Hot swarf  (Read 644 times)

Offline Thomas Lawson

• iron
Hot swarf
« on: August 31, 2023, 09:13:14 PM »
Is it normal for the wood swarf from a sharp bowl gouge to get really hot, hot enough to hurt?

I have been turning very dry willow, teak, mahogany etc. and the clean shavings come off the gouge really hot.

The teak also blunted the gouge really quickly, turning what had been a clean peel of shaving to dust before resharpening

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Hot swarf
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 02:41:41 AM »
Prelonged use will cause friction , Friction causes heat , Yes it happens , Some wear a fingerless glove, some say it is not safe to use a glove, It is for you to decide.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 07:47:31 AM »
Teak has a high silica content and that is what is blunting your gouge quickly.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »
Very dry timbers can cause a number of problems, including as you’ve found out hot shavings.

Many years ago I was asked to make something from a piece of Oak from a 400 year old building removed during a renovation. It was far too dry to turn as it was. I had previously read about soaking difficult timbers in a 50/50 solution of dish soap and water for a number of weeks (I left it for a month) and then turning it after letting it dry off for a week or two. Apart from an old cut nail hidden in the timber it turned very well all things considered.

These days I discard old very dry wood unless it’s got particularly nice grain.

Offline Thomas Lawson

• iron
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 09:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 10:44:22 AM »
Wearing gloves while operating any form of rotating machinery is forbidden in most workplaces under H&S rules. What folks do in their own sheds is up to them. I generally only ever wear gloves for rough handling or hot work.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 11:31:05 AM »
Hot shavings happen, but consider how much you may be contributing, too much pressure on the bevel = extra friction not sharpening often enough  will also add to the heat. But they still happen sometimes especially on very dry wood.

I never wear gloves on the lathe except the latex type when colouring, they tear easier than skin so are probably relatively safe! But I do change my grip, often an underhand grip will keep your left hand away from the shavings.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 10:45:55 PM »
Hot shavings happen, but consider how much you may be contributing, too much pressure on the bevel = extra friction not sharpening often enough  will also add to the heat. But they still happen sometimes especially on very dry wood.

I never wear gloves on the lathe except the latex type when colouring, they tear easier than skin so are probably relatively safe! But I do change my grip, often an underhand grip will keep your left hand away from the shavings.

This is the best reply

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything