Author Topic: Playing around with wood and resin  (Read 3303 times)

Offline afrancis

• iron
    • francisgreenock
Playing around with wood and resin
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »
I am always looking for something new to create and have been playing around with polyester resin. After some head scratching and trying various methods, here are a couple of small incense burners using some burr elm and poylyester resin.

Alex

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Playing around with wood and resin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »

I like the blue one it looks like the grain flows within the resin, works well, the ivory it's more like paint or whitewash, not giving it the same effect, it still works as a piece, they are safe, a incense stick wouldn't generate the heat for them to go up in smoke, there's always a warning to keep polyester away from flames or fire.

Well done on both of them,      David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Frans Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

Hi, I think you have done really well in adding new techniques to your wood turning repertoire. It must have taken a good deal of improvisation in managing the combination of materials with distinctly differing characteristics.
The colours you have chosen don’t quite compliment the woods they are with though. Now you have succeeded in marrying these two, it would be great to get them to work together.

Have a look here for some ideas on colour combinations.
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Frans

Offline afrancis

• iron
    • francisgreenock
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
Thanks for your comments, as I said I was working on an idea. I havn't decided if I will continue the theme. It is expensive to make large items . However id I do decide to continue I will buy a larger range of pigments, I only had one or two.

Alex
Alex