Author Topic: Trowbridge exhibition  (Read 1088 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Trowbridge exhibition
« on: June 18, 2023, 10:18:27 PM »
This just came up on one of my feeds and I thought I would share it with you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmo-FVZKNj4

Online John Peachey

• bronze
Re: Trowbridge exhibition
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 10:48:08 PM »
Thanks for that.
I was wondering why I wasn't aware of the exhibition, before realizing that the video is from 2015

Still some fantastic pieces.

John

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:20:58 PM »
Shame they don't do anything similar now. Maybe one to follow up for the Kennet and Avon wood turning club. John?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Online John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 05:19:20 PM »
Shame they don't do anything similar now. Maybe one to follow up for the Kennet and Avon wood turning club. John?

Well saying that there is an exhibition coming up at Nature in Art just outside Gloucester https://natureinart.org.uk/event/branching-out/?instance_id=795.

The exhibition mentions AWGB but is an RPT project designed to help up and coming woodturners. If it's anything like the RAY Key exhibition which was held at this venue it should be a good trip out. I understand that there will be some live turning demos on certain days as well

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 06:42:15 PM »

Well saying that there is an exhibition coming up at Nature in Art just outside Gloucester https://natureinart.org.uk/event/branching-out/?instance_id=795.

The exhibition mentions AWGB but is an RPT project designed to help up and coming woodturners. If it's anything like the RAY Key exhibition which was held at this venue it should be a good trip out. I understand that there will be some live turning demos on certain days as well

Hi John ... can I just correct something in your response. The RPT is not organising the event that you refer to,  but I believe that Paul Hannaby is. Perhaps you're confusing this with an event held last year by the RPT (with support from the Worshipful Company of Turners). The event was called the Emerging Turners Programme, in which 18 up and coming young turners were treated to several days of guidance and demos/tuition from a few of the UK's leading wood turners. It is some of those 18 young turners who will have some of their work exhibited in Paul's exhibition near Gloucester.

Les Symonds RPT
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Online John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 09:44:27 PM »

Hi John ... can I just correct something in your response. The RPT is not organising the event that you refer to,  but I believe that Paul Hannaby is. Perhaps you're confusing this with an event held last year by the RPT (with support from the Worshipful Company of Turners). The event was called the Emerging Turners Programme, in which 18 up and coming young turners were treated to several days of guidance and demos/tuition from a few of the UK's leading wood turners. It is some of those 18 young turners who will have some of their work exhibited in Paul's exhibition near Gloucester.

Les Symonds RPT

Hi Les,

Thanks for the correction. I have obviously misunderstood the exhibition and its aims. Which is a bit worrying when it is so near to actually happening!

John

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 02:41:51 PM »
Much as I would like to do this atm I am concentrating on getting as much stuff made before having an enforced shut down for about 3 months due to a health problem. But that exhibition was quite easy to arrange as I think I was still on the AWGB committee at the time or at least still in regular contact with some of the committee members. Also it was organised for near the winter period when there were not many (if any) shows organised so we managed to get the whole of the AWGB exhibition pieces. And because I was in touch with some of the well known turners I also managed to get some of their pieces too. Add to that, I was also friendly with the Trowbridge town hall staff so managed to get the exhibition space for 4 weeks free of charge and members from my local club, Kennet and Avon woodturners came along and stewarded the event and gave guided talks. All in all it was a very hectic month but very successful.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 06:02:56 PM »
I didnt realise you organised it. I am sure the club members would support something like this again. I would be up for it. Something to think about next year when you are back to top form maybe?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 07:05:39 PM »
I didnt realise you organised it. I am sure the club members would support something like this again. I would be up for it. Something to think about next year when you are back to top form maybe?
Who knows what might happen?