Author Topic: About Milliput putty  (Read 530 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
About Milliput putty
« on: June 23, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
I have just used Milliput patty for the first time and I have a question which I have been unable to find the answer to on the internet.
Can new Milliput putty be used in conjunction with set Milliput? So in effect can I cast one colour and let it harden and then set it into a different colour the same way as modelling clay was used a few years ago?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: About Milliput putty
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 05:45:55 PM »
Providing the set milliput is clean and dry with nothing oily on it it should be fine. It’s Epoxy putty after all so should adhere to most sound surfaces listed in the instructions?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
Just a thought John. If there is a degree of shrinkage, the original piece of Mili will have shrunk before the second piece is placed around it, so the second piece may crack if it can't shrink in its normal manner.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »
That’s a good point Les. Well worth doing a test piece. I’ve only used it once or twice and put it into an undercut groove to ensure it didn’t come out when finished turned. I didn’t notice any shrinkage of the milliput at the time and the finished item still looks fine though.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 04:45:52 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. As a result of my first attempt I took a trip to Yandles this morning to buy some more and varied colours. Just trying to get loads of stock built with as many variations as possible.