Author Topic: New oak 'limed' candlesticks  (Read 953 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
New oak 'limed' candlesticks
« on: May 14, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
A revised version of an earlier design intended to be quick to make for a competition at Tudor Rose Woodworks show yesterday!  Dark-stained oak with traditional white and blue (ultramarine powder) 'limed' wax grain infill.  The blue (and another sandy-coloured version) made by adding dry ultramarine (=lapis chemically) or ochre powder to white liming wax.

Works well I think (but did not win - no accounting for judges!). Does use quite a bit of wood in the interest of getting a wide enough heavy base for safe use with traditional wax candles.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
Re: New oak 'limed' candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 09:29:24 PM »
A revised version of an earlier design intended to be quick to make for a competition at Tudor Rose Woodworks show yesterday!  Dark-stained oak with traditional white and blue (ultramarine powder) 'limed' wax grain infill.  The blue (and another sandy-coloured version) made by adding dry ultramarine (=lapis chemically) or ochre powder to white liming wax.

Works well I think (but did not win - no accounting for judges!). Does use quite a bit of wood in the interest of getting a wide enough heavy base for safe use with traditional wax candles.

I quite like the shape, and the colouring, although I have to admit to not being a fan of liming. Which is just personal taste.
The one thing I'm not sure about is the candle dishes overhanging the edge of the wood. It looks sort of added as an after thought. I think it would have looked tidier with the timber widening out to the full diameter of the dish. Mind you that might make them slightly top heavy.

Kind regards
John

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 01:56:35 PM »
John

Good comment - an earlier version did have the wood slightly larger beneath the dishes - possibly does look better.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 07:16:09 PM »
Just FYI this design started as a simpler (that is practical to make in an hour for a competition) version of the pewter/wood sandwich candlestick shown alongside here.  This might explain the use of 'liming'!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 05:56:56 PM »
Not a fan of narrow base candlesticks when put into use as they are very easy to topple over.
Nice project , I do like using liming wax.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 09:46:47 PM »
I must admit I quite like the pewter version. The parts look more integrated. Don' think I've seen the chevron effect done with pewter before. It looks very striking. I can see that liming to achieve the same effect would be a lot simpler.

John

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 10:36:06 AM »
John

Thanks!  Pewter sheet is quite simple to use - just roughened and glued before turning.  Various options but I find regular PVA is fine. The wood (walnut) is also dark stained.  Note that the ring and base are cast pewter, cast in place in dovetailed grooves.  Sheet is from British pewter mills in Sheffield.  Note that pewter/wood combinations do move independently so the boundary can always be 'felt'.