Author Topic: A Contentious Issue?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: A Contentious Issue?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 09:35:09 PM »
I was fortunate enough to receive comprehensive H&S advice about compressed air safety many years ago. Even in workplaces where wood isn’t used the practice of “cleaning” down equipment etc with a blow gun is frowned upon.

I don't have a compressor except for the airbrush one, and find in almost all occasions suction is better than blowing, with the exception of cleaning out computers where a low pressure blow dusting is often the best method of cleaning it.

But I do get the point that with the addition of an air filter that will run for an hour so so after you leave the workshop carefully putting the dust into the air to be filtered can be a valid option.

Bottom line is we are all personally responsible for our own workspace and safety, I know there are some professional turners who hate to watch me use a bandsaw, while I consider it the safest piece of machinery in my workshop.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2023, 06:32:59 PM »
But I do get the point that with the addition of an air filter that will run for an hour so so after you leave the workshop carefully putting the dust into the air to be filtered can be a valid option.

I have air filters on in my workshop most of the time and everything still ends up covered in dust so I don't think that putting dust in the air to be an effective way of cleaning.

Offline Bill21

• platinum

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 07:44:26 PM »
I will rejoin the conversation/argument with this. My workshop used to be a real mess, dust everywhere and on every surface. Now I am not just talking of a light dusting but half an inch or more thick. And then I started losing things, chuck keys, pencils and even parts of projects that I had made. I have been working on a budget most of my life (and before everyone starts on about the cost of a set of lungs if you can't afford it you just can't buy it!!) My extractor system was leaving the door open with a floor mounted fan drawing the dust out.
 These days I have a proper extractor, my workshop is cleaner (mostly) and certainly a lot safer and I no longer lose small items in the dust (well not so many anyway)It is certainly a more pleasant place to work in. But I still use compressed air and quite honestly some jobs are not doable without it.