Author Topic: Charnwood W850 LCD display issues  (Read 697 times)

Offline griffdm

• iron
Charnwood W850 LCD display issues
« on: April 01, 2023, 12:02:06 PM »
Hi all,
Wonder if anyone may be able to help, the digital display on my lathe just sits at 0000, i have checked the sensor (though not with a mulitmeter) would anyone know where i can get spare parts for the lathe?

Possibly a replacement LCD or sensor

Thanks
Darren

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Charnwood W850 LCD display issues
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »
If you can’t source OEM spares and don’t mind a bit of DIY this may be a possible solution?

Offline griffdm

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 01:39:00 PM »
Hi Bill,

I've bought one of those, struggling to find a location for the magnet though as there is no free spindle space inside the lathe

Thanks
Darren

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 03:17:57 PM »
I wonder if those would work with a VB36?? Would be interested to know if anyone has and if so, how they got on
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 03:25:51 PM »
I wonder if those would work with a VB36?? Would be interested to know if anyone has and if so, how they got on

It should, you will also need a 24v power supply and  a magnet fixed to the spindle <10mm from the sensor. So some bracketry may be needed and obviously some space to install it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »

Provided there’s space for the components I don’t see why not.

https://youtu.be/OCzfDkmDPio

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 04:17:55 PM »
Hi all,
Wonder if anyone may be able to help, the digital display on my lathe just sits at 0000, i have checked the sensor (though not with a mulitmeter) would anyone know where i can get spare parts for the lathe?

Possibly a replacement LCD or sensor

Thanks
Darren

The sensor is either hall effect (magnet) or optical (usually a shiny piece of tape). If the tape type, check the tape on the spindle is clean and with either type, check the alignment of the sensor and the magnet or tape on the spindle. also with the hall effect types, check the sensor isn't too far away from the magnet.

Offline griffdm

• iron
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 01:40:49 PM »

The sensor is either hall effect (magnet) or optical (usually a shiny piece of tape). If the tape type, check the tape on the spindle is clean and with either type, check the alignment of the sensor and the magnet or tape on the spindle. also with the hall effect types, check the sensor isn't too far away from the magnet.
[/quote]

Hi Paul, mine is an optical sensor, I've tried moving it closer, it ia a small black sensor and a disc with slots cut out moves between it. I'll have to get a multimeter on it to see if there is any voltage

Thanks
Darren