Author Topic: TURNSTYLER TS 1000 Lathe owners  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Timbo

• iron
TURNSTYLER TS 1000 Lathe owners
« on: March 24, 2023, 07:17:23 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a newby to this forum and I'm interested to hear from anyone who has or had a Turnstyler TS1000 lathe.  I've just purchased one but having great difficulty finding any information anywhere.   I do understand that there were several build variations and customer preferences were built into individual orders but wondered if Fred ever provided a manual of some description for the lathe itself.  I do have a booklet with information on the inverter. 

I already have a Graduate with variable speed control but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and wanted another solidly built lathe but with the ability to swing the headstock and also one that had some grunt.   Yes it's a bit 'agricultural' and could be refined a little, for example, a handle to lock the tailstock rather than using a spanner and a lever to lock the headstock rather than socket on the end of a bar, would make life easier.  That said, so far I've not been disappointed with its versatility and stability.  So if there are any 'Turnstylers' out there please join in the conversation and give me your views.

Take care Tim

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: TURNSTYLER TS 1000 Lathe owners
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 01:24:14 PM »
Hi Tim, It's not a machine that I've come accross in the past but if you can get hold of a copy of Woodturning Issue No:50 you may find a test report on it.
Issue 50: Page: 22  Test Turnstyler   TS1000   Lathe   Neil   Bell

I wish you luck with your quest.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Timbo

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 10:44:42 PM »
Wow, Julian where an earth did you manage to get that information from - amazing.   It would ge even more amazing if I could find a copy!!

Thanks for that.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 05:19:15 AM »
Must be a good while ago as the current mag is 383 I think , Only one mag per month.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 07:59:41 AM »
Wow, Julian where an earth did you manage to get that information from - amazing.   It would ge even more amazing if I could find a copy!!

Thanks for that.

Contact GMC Publications, I did recently about an article I had part of from issue 6. A reprint was not available BUT they scanned their archive copy and emailed me the full article FOC. They may well do the same for you.

Offline Timbo

• iron
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:21:12 PM »
Thanks Colin, I've just contacted them so fingers crossed.

Offline Timbo

• iron
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 09:28:04 AM »
Just received the following from GMC Publications:

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, we do not keep issues older than 18 months old or keep records of older magazines.
Kind regards,
Yuliia Sytnikova
Customer Service Administrator
GMC Publications Ltd
166 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex  BN7 1XU
Sales Line: 01273 488 005 

Drawn a blank there I guess!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 01:46:30 PM »

There will be someone who uses this forum who has a copy of issue 50 try posting appeal John
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:16 PM »
Hi Tim,

I thought I had a copy but on checking, I have no 49 and then jump to no 52. If you have no luck, let me know as there might be one of my club (Cheam Woodturners) members who has a copy for you.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Richard_C

• iron
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:54:44 PM »
Trying to avoid real work I went down the rabbit-hole of the internet and found nothing useful save the address of the company, doubtless now long gone:  Biddings Lane  Bilston  WV14 9NN  West Midlands  Phone: 01902405429

But I did stumble across an oil painting, not any old lathe but a turnstyler lathe - who would have thought :)

www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/royal-institute-oil-painters-annual-exhibition-2018/turnstyler-lathe

Better go back to doing that which needs to be done ......

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »
Private message me your email address, I have a scanned copy of issue 50.

Regards

Mike

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 07:37:11 PM »
Hi Mike,  Good old Google gave me the information I wonder if it did in fact have the said review. I would be interested to know. Thanks - Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:27 PM »
Not sure if this will work but if it does the listing for the lathe is on page 93
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Timbo

• iron
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi Tim,

I thought I had a copy but on checking, I have no 49 and then jump to no 52. If you have no luck, let me know as there might be one of my club (Cheam Woodturners) members who has a copy for you.

David

Thanks David but it looks very much like Mike has come up trumps

Offline Timbo

• iron
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 08:11:45 PM »
Trying to avoid real work I went down the rabbit-hole of the internet and found nothing useful save the address of the company, doubtless now long gone:  Biddings Lane  Bilston  WV14 9NN  West Midlands  Phone: 01902405429

But I did stumble across an oil painting, not any old lathe but a turnstyler lathe - who would have thought :)

www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/royal-institute-oil-painters-annual-exhibition-2018/turnstyler-lathe

Better go back to doing that which needs to be done ......

Richard, great painting but mine isn't quite as old as that.   Looks like it's not variable speed and the outboard legs are different.  I will take some photos of mine and post sometime this week.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 08:21:57 PM by Timbo »