Author Topic: Sticking Chuck  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Sticking Chuck
« on: January 30, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
Ever since I’ve had my Axminster Lathe and SK100 chuck I’ve found the chuck “sticks” on the spindle a little bit. It’s not been a problem, I just lock the spindle, insert the chuck key and pull on it a little and the chuck easily comes free. I’ve recently bought another Chuck though, a Supernova 2 and this sticks in exactly the same way. Due to the chuck key design though it can’t be used to remove the chuck, and I hasten to say could damage the pinion even if you could. I had to resort to putting a piece of timber between the jaws to remove it as recommended in the Nova manual.

Do any of you experience the same issue and if so how do you deal with it?

I should add there are no obvious faults or burrs etc on the lathe spindle.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Sticking Chuck
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 01:44:15 PM »
I had this problem , Made a washer out of a old plastic milk bottle fitted between the spindle and chuck , This worked for me .

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 03:22:06 PM »
Yes I’ve heard of the plastic washer idea. I may try that.

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 04:50:09 PM »
   Even a piece of grease  proof paper or I have used a bit of the  anti corrosion brown paper that is packed with tools . The advantage is, it is not thick enough to lose the fit of the back register to the chuck body

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:06:56 PM »
The times I have had that happen with my Nova or Axminster chucks, I have used their chuck spanners (which engage in two of the key holes) to free and remove from the spindle (with the spindle locked).

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 08:03:04 PM »
My Supernova 2 doesn’t have any holes for a chuck spanner. The only hole is threaded for a locking screw.  ;) I guess this is why the manual says to clamp a piece of wood in the jaws?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi Bill, I think a photo shows more than words what I mean.  The photos show how I use the Nova chuck spanner to release my stuck SuperNova2 chuck when stuck on the spindle.  The two lugs on the spanner engage with the two adjacent holes (where the key engages).   This always works for me.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 06:37:32 AM »
The danger with using any sort of chuck key to release a chuck that has locked onto the spindle, is that it is engaged in a brittle, cast metal gear which is not desiged for taking the sharp knock that might be needed to release it. The safer way is to simply open the jaws sufficiently to put a length of flat-bar between the jaws, across the face of the chuck, and use it as a lever. The chuck has been designed to let the jaws take such rotational forces, but the keyways haven't!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 08:59:21 AM »
Try putting a washer behind the chuck as suggested above. If that solves the problem, it is possible that the thread relief in your chuck thread is not deep enough for your lathe register. It may take very careful measurement to verify this but at least it'll confirm one way or another a potential cause.
Another possibility, also solved by use of a washer, is that the metals of the chuck and the register are "locking" together - I get this with an Axi faceplate but not with anything else.
A Flora tub lid made a good thin accurate washer that doesn't affect the accuracy of the register. A pair of dividers cut out the washer accurately and quickly.
Duncan
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:11:56 AM by Duncan A »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »
The danger with using any sort of chuck key to release a chuck that has locked onto the spindle, is that it is engaged in a brittle, cast metal gear which is not desiged for taking the sharp knock that might be needed to release it. The safer way is to simply open the jaws sufficiently to put a length of flat-bar between the jaws, across the face of the chuck, and use it as a lever. The chuck has been designed to let the jaws take such rotational forces, but the keyways haven't!

Yes, agreed about the pinion.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 02:02:50 AM »
Not saying this is the solution to your issue, but a common reason for chucks getting "stuck" is that they were not on tight when you started turning.

It is worth engaging the locking pin and cinching up the chuck when you put it on, then it will not overtighten when you start cutting.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 08:12:29 AM »

Hi Bill,

I think it's worth reviewing your method of securing the chucks on the spindle  (I agree with Pete) and also close inspection / cleaning of the register as your  problem occurs across all your different makes of chucks.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »

Hi Bill,

I think it's worth reviewing your method of securing the chucks on the spindle  (I agree with Pete) and also close inspection / cleaning of the register as your  problem occurs across all your different makes of chucks.

I’m a machinist. The spindle is fine and I know how to put a chuck on.  ;)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 06:18:05 PM »

Hi Bill,

Nice , What machine do you have , Singer , Brother , Duke ,  ;D

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 11:03:24 PM »

Hi Bill,

Nice , What machine do you have , Singer , Brother , Duke ,  ;D

I’m guessing English isn’t your first language? :D