Author Topic: Pewter demo pieces  (Read 1037 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Pewter demo pieces
« on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:00 AM »
Two  items from a turning-with-pewter demonstration I did last night at our club (Tudor Rose),

They are a pepper grinder (crushgrind with shaft) and a shaft/rod.  The grinder has a base with two sheets of mm pewter glued into saw kerfs before turning and a top with a cast top section (cast and turned in the demo), with a dark wood 'finial'. (the grinder works fine!)

The shaft was turned from a glued sandwich of 2*1.5mm pewter sheets and 3*mahogany wood pieces during the demo and is just a shaft at present!  Finished with a sharp scraper and sanding.  Glue Titebond PVA.

A note is that both pieces are finished on the lathe with Danish oil  and tissues - this removes most of the darkening that happens on the wood during sanding from pewter dust - not 100% but pretty effective.

Offline Hallelujahal

• iron
Re: Pewter demo pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 01:55:13 PM »
Very nice Will, its something I'd like to learn sometime soon!
Alex

Offline Richard_C

• iron
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 05:14:56 PM »
Nice and gives me ideas.  I have seen a demo with molten/cast pewter, keep meaning to have a go.  Never thought of using sheet.  Maybe a good halfway house to start.  Thanks for posting.

Did you cast the top then fit it cold or did you pour directly into the workpiece?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:17:43 PM by Richard_C »

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 06:38:52 PM »
The top pewter section was cast in place into a 'dovetailed' hole so that it was retained when set (there was also a dovetailed, ie conical, groove at the base of this hole). The set pewter does not stick to the wood but it is a fairly close fit so this leaves it secure. 

I have also removed a pewter shape after casting and glued it back in but this is awkward and I think unnecessary! Naturally the pre-casting top wood section looks different before casting - so it was cylindrical in this case.  After casting the whole top, wood and pewter, is re-machined (mostly with a sharp scraper and then sandpaper) to get the round top, which is then drilled and the 'finial' (separately made) fitted. FTR the metal remains hot for some time after casting.

The glued sheet (sanded before glueing) is simpler as a start I think!

Offline Richard_C

• iron
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 11:43:50 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a go soon.  Its minus 3 inside the garage/workshop right now so it won't be today :)