Author Topic: hollow form  (Read 2525 times)

Offline chill

• copper
hollow form
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
a recent hollow form, lots of encouragement and advice from Mark Sanger, thanks Mark, C&C welcome
Cheers Chris

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: hollow form
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
Hello Chris

This is right up my street.  I love this sort of thing. 

Well done

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi Chill,

I'm quite sure Mark has covered anything I could say about the turning (though I think it’s very well done) so I'll stick with the overall appearance.

I really like the finial itself, I have a thing for a well turned finial!

The hollow-form is a good shape and well finished. It does not follow the rule of thirds in itself but I think you’ve tried to bring that in the whole overall form.

From my perspective the foot is too much, It's well turned with a nicely formed cove with bead, but it’s size makes it out of proportion for such a figure.

The problem I have is when putting the 3 pieces together gives it the appearance of a finial you’d find on top of a clock or piece of furniture, but not on a stand-alone form.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi All thanks for the kind comments,
Mark, the kettle is always on,
Dave, pleased you like it,
Dr4gonfly, thank you for your kind comments, proportion is something I am trying hard with, will get there eventually, I think you are right in thinking it looks like a clock or furniture finial, and this thinking may appear in other projects

Cheers Chris
Cheers Chris

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
Hello Chris

Not sure I agree about the finial.  I may have mad a little "V" shaped platform under the ball end of the finial to separate the bead at teh bottom.  I would also make the bead at the base of the finial the same diameter, or slightly larger that the ball at the base of the finial.

Just a thought.

Cheers Dave

woody

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
Love the finial and the hollow form but the foot looks out of proportion to the rest of it but on a positive note all three are well turned and finished

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
Hi Dave and Woody, thanks for the kind comments, will try and incorporate them into the next one, lots to experiment with,
Cheers Chris