Author Topic: yew tree sap  (Read 17855 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

yew tree sap
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
I was asked the other day whether the sap of the yew tree was poisonous. I assumed it was but am unable to find definitive scientific proof on the internet.In fact some of the information contradicts on several sites. If the sap and therefore the wood is poisonous howcome drinking vessels have been made from it? I wouldn't choose to drink it but can the sap be harmful through absorbtion?
Regards
John

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: yew tree sap
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:39 PM »
John

Good question, the berries can be eaten but not the seed in them, no i am putting this to the test.

Yew wood dust can cause your heart rate to fall, i know a timber merchant who cant saw or use Yew anymore due to being sensitised so much that he is very ill if he cut yew.

Sorry i cant say about the sap.

Philip

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
In short - all of a Yew tree contains taxine which is a listed poison.

For more detail look at this old post on my blog...

http://woodturningblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/is-yew-wood-toxic/

admalin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
Suggest read the piece in Wikipedea under yew tree toxin.

Tony Malin (newbie)

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
Serious information regarding toxins is perhaps best not sourced on wikipedea.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
I know I'm an old skeptic but am I the only one here thinking someone is looking for a final solution to the mother-in-law problem ;)
Brian

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
Yes, Brian...

ME!

I've been trying to find a conclusive answer for a couple of years now without success. I think I know why there isn't one...

Nobody has done the research (over and above the confirmation that the tree contains taxine and it is a poison) and there's no reason to do so, therefore a definitive answer isn't on the cards.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Well, thankyou all for your replies, I have also had a couple of PM's aswell. After carrying out extensive searches on the internet (including pages from Andy's blog) I have finally been able to come up with the answer to the question posed.
No-one knows the correct answer So I am just going to assume the same as everyone else that it is toxic, I'm still gonna turn it though! :)
Regards
John

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »

One time I'd had a link with a list of woods, how safe, there dusts, if toxic and effects, can I find it..     ???...

If with Yew and Oak alone, maybe it's never ideal to lick your fingers, it was one reason soneone I know would never read a News paper, then what is there to read anyway...     ;D...

Cheers..
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
Here you go...HSE Toxicity in Woods Document...

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Here you go...HSE Toxicity in Woods Document...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf...    Thanks Andy,  your a star...   not a full list, some I've been using are not mentioned.. 

one being Goncalo Alves, most recent work, I'll have a runny nose soon after I starting, not one for the friendly list..

David

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
If that is the same info the HSE sent me a yonk or two ago, as research for a magazine article, I would question its actual relevence as well as suggesting an element of caution when reading it. I was told, at that time, that ALL the research work done in this area has been, quite understandably, concerned solely with 'Safety at work' ie 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, 48 weeks a year within a factory environment. When I asked if I could safely extrapolate (my word of the week, incidentally) down to a couple of hours in a drafty shed or garage, once a fortnight, the 'experts' screamed in latin, covered their ears and ran away to hide.
The straight facts of the matter, as I understood them, were that no-one actually knew how (un)safe we hameteurs were as we went about our hobby but, again quite understandably, the retailers, with plenty of help from under-informed woodies, keep the fires of worry well stoked in order to keep us all buying their wares.
Cat among pigeons or what  :o
Brian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »

Brian, Some very good points in what you've said, most of these issues are over a long term and for commercial works and saw mills etc..  and is it, that in fact there are no answer, just guild lines, any dust or conact can be dangerous, cases Industure, Mines and Farming over the past.

A similar area, if not a different subject is Noise and how the HSE address the subject in much the same way..   In the early 80's they came into the Commercial body builders/equipment works, I was at and measured everything, opening the main doors, vehicles running, grinding & grinders, air & electric drill, lathes, chop saws, pushes, mills, air wrenches everthing, right up close to you or the equipment over 3 days the most..  They came up with.. yes to much Noise.. This again was based on the facts of working 5 days and 48 hrs... in that case no piece of equipment would be run continually for those lenghts of time or all at the same time..   the one most important thing out of it all really was, everyones goggles were not impact resistant..  just rated for dust...

We had eyes tested and given safety glasses and ear protectors..  did we all look daft..   ???...   since that time in any job, this has only came down to me personally to safe guard yourself..

An area to think about in our line is Viration, then again, as with dust and noise, not all of us are exposed to it long term and we do take to safe guard ourselves from them.

David

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
I agree that H&S is the responsibility of the individual (how many of us smoke?) but surely there should be actual data somewhere concerning just about everything. We know from experience that some woods, Iroko in my case, can really cause an unpleasant if not dangerous reaction, but I do know people that are totally unaffected by it. That doesn't mean that it is any less dangerous to them just that their acceptance (?) level is different.
John

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
The other thing is we know that Maple sap is ok (Maple syrup) but the dust of the maple is to be avoided and that Oak contains tannin which turns black on contact with steel but preccious little is known about Yew sap, if we knew what reacted with taxolwe might then be able to get artificial colour into the wood.
John