Author Topic: Adulterated burr oak  (Read 6987 times)

Andy Coates

Adulterated burr oak
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
I've been avoiding commenting and posting on here because I was tired of seeing my name everywhere, but I've just been ordered to post this pic here! Thanks, John!

Burr Oak clock, pyrographed around sap wood boundary, coloured, UV sealed, and lacquered.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:28:26 PM by Andy Coates »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Adulterated burr oak
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
Thanks Andy it wasn't an order only an idea ;D and I am glad I did, the photograph on the Forum shows a lot more detail and I like it.It is so different
 to most clocks I have seen.I think the Gallery on the Forum has been very lively of late I hope it continues.How do you UV seal? Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
Very nice that the colouring and texturing has been done very sympathetically with the burr and it enhance it me thinks

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
you know what i think of this Andy  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
I'm not sure if my comments will add anything to the debate but here goes anyway.

To start with it's definitely not unattractive - but without seeing the finished form before the pyro and colouring I can only guess what it was like.

Here's my guess, standard oak grain, which is attractive but might or might not of worked well or even detracted from the burr.

However if that's what was there, by adding the extra work and covering it you've forced the eye to focus on the important area, the burr. In so doing made the Burr and the irregular shape that bounds it appear as a unusually shaped clock face. One you notice and (to my eye) try to see what the shape within it is, map, face, animal etc. Without the clock it might not have worked except as an unusual platter.

The fact that you've used a colour complimentary to the wood helps, Blue, green etc. would really have not worked at all - I would definitely have thought it was a map!

Does it work Yes(ish!), Is it attractive, again yes(ish) but more so to some than others from reading the forum. Was it an experiment and did you learn from it - only you can answer.

Overall, the speed with which it sells and how happy the purchaser is will be with it is the deciding factor.

And finally to throw my tuppence worth into the ring - yes, I like it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. George...I expected that off some (not you I have to admit) hence the "adulterated" post title.

The truth is I have a lot of this burr in board form and it gets very boring knocking out the same burry stuff. And I've never given a tinker's cuss about other turners liking what I do in that sense. I don't turn for turners. I turn to sell to customers.

The sap grain was sooo boring dr4! Believe me it was better hidden.

And the good news is that after posting it on Twitter it has just sold ( after a few messages and queries back and forth) to a woodturning supplies company in colorado springs USA!

So out with the red stain and burr again!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
Overall, the speed with which it sells and how happy the purchaser is will be with it is the deciding factor.

Case Proven.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Hi Andy
Good to see you posting again. I think I might need a trip to specsavers as I cant see any colour on the Burr. Is there? I too was surprised at Georges comment. Good work.
Roger G

Frans Brown

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
Glad to see a piece throwing a bit of controversy into the mix.
I feel that adding the texture has taken it from the craft stall market into the wider world. The wave design and colour work well with the burr.

Frans
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:37:40 AM by Frans Brown »

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
Hi Andy,
          I think this is a lovely piece and I think the texturing and colouring are just right. Did you turn the bead detail on the clock face first and then texture? I ask this because I think the ratio between the burr and the texture,along with the bare grain is spot on.
I can see why Mark (Sanger) produces all his new ideas because I couldn't (can't) see what he is seeing in the overall design.
I just like it.
Well done.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
Hi Andy,

I love it, the burr has been enhanced by the colour and texture.

cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Well as far as I am concerned its a winner. I think the 'adulteration' actually goes well with the Burr and the outer turned line frames the whole piece rather precisely as any time piece should be.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
Hi Andy

It works for me too and I like everything about it.  I guess you mjust have a high power Pyrography machine to make the waves? 

I can see what Mark says about the waves and headland, but I'm a bit like John, I don't think like that but I am trying to educate myself.  Too long being an engineer I think and working from plans and diagrams!

The more I see posted on here the more I get ideas to try out.  Just have to find the time!

Glad you sold it

Cheers Atco

Andy Coates

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
Thank you all. Including Grumpy!

Forgot to answer a specific question regarding UV sealing...

I am of the opinion that if you are selling work which relies on colour then the customer (potential or actual) should have a realistic expectation of the work looking the way it does for some considerable period of time. As even colourants which are stated as "light fast" can fade over time, and this would not be a good thing for a maker (let alone the buyer!), then I do two things: a) I advise not to display in direct sunlight, and b) I seal with a "varnish" that is formulated to protect coloured work against fading due to ultra violet light.

It's not the cheapest of stuff, but the certainty of a reasonable longevity is what matters.

In respect to the pattern and placing of the pyro work: the inspiration in this case was two-fold; a)boredom - I have, and turn, a lot of burr oak and it gets boring and samey, and b) the sapwood boundary was so clearly defined it seemed to beg to be accentuated. The "wave" pattern is one I use a lot on the pyrodoodle vessels, and is a pleasing (for me anyway) textural tool.

It's now packed and paid for and off to Colorado tomorrow.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:51 AM »

Andy,  good to here from you and see this wonderful piece, it's down to how you present it that counts, hang it any other way and it may not have worked.

Yes it looks like a landscape, a headland as already said, the contours and valleys run down to a long sandy beach on the sheltered side of the outcrop.

Well done on a home for it in Colorado so soon.            David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''