Author Topic: ASR-Eurolock Spindle  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
ASR-Eurolock Spindle
« on: October 01, 2022, 12:07:25 PM »

It seems there’s a new lathe spindle called the ASR-Eurolock.

Used with the appropriate locking ring it’s designed to stop chucks coming off the spindle unexpectedly.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: ASR-Eurolock Spindle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 10:47:05 PM »
Hmmm as opposed to the single grub screw in the reversing lock on my chucks it will need 2 screws and a 2-part ring which will need to be unscrewed then screwed back in place to avoid screws or one half of the ring getting lost. Not sure it is an improvement!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
If correctly attached it should be more secure. The last time I looked, two of the three locking screws had dropped out of my own chuck, sucked up with the shavings no doubt!
I agree though, it will be a bit of a faff taking the locking ring on and off.
I expect many new lathes will now come with this spindle thread?

This is my old AT1416VS.

And this from a German website of a similar type lathe.

It looks like the old M33 x 3.5 chucks will not fit ASR-Eurolock spindle lathes.

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
I have a locking ring like this, it came with my vicmark 300 which was made in 1972

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 12:04:10 AM »
Did you have a chuck you could use with the ring, and if so what make was it?

I ask as the most popular chuck manufacturers don’t seem to have made any chucks to take advantage of this feature until last year - 2022.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 05:18:27 PM »
The old M33 chuck fits my new lathe with ASR just fine and I can also use the grub screws to lock them if I plan to reverse as there is an unthreaded collar in the right place.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 06:10:27 PM »
I have ASR on my lathe and most good quality chucks (Sorby, Record, Vicmarc) fit just fine but some accessories by RDG, Charnwood need to have a 3mm thick washer on the spindle - or the accessory thread relief made deeper.
Dinca

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
The last time I looked Axminster made both plain and ASR M33 Chucks. They may though I suppose discontinue the plain type at some point? This could be a problem for users of lathes with plain spindles unless ASR chucks continue to come with locking screws like the plain ones.
My Axminster chuck has three locking screws for good reason. The ASR fit SuperNova 2 chuck I bought a while back fits my plain spindle M33 lathe just fine but sadly only has one locking screw. I haven’t actually checked though that it engages at a suitable point on the spindle.