Author Topic: Spin-painted Decorated Plate  (Read 1661 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Spin-painted Decorated Plate
« on: September 07, 2022, 11:25:57 AM »
Another competition experiment!

I am sure something like this has been done often enough before but this is a new experiment for me. So the plate is oak 220mm in diameter and is fully smoothed but uncoated before painting.  The top is flat with a shallow smooth bowl in the centre (and a recessed chucking point beneath designed to be left on).  Turning and finishing is conventional.

Then, with the plate mounted in the lathe running quite slowly (about 200rpm), a 5 ml plastic syringe is used to deposit a ring of acrylic paint inside the rim of the bowl.  The lathe is then spun up, usually to 500-900 rpm, until the paint ring flows outward to the desired dimension.  This typically only takes 10's seconds.  The lathe speed is then reduced to 200 rpm and it is left turning for a while to avoid dripping, though this may not really be needed.  I left about 2 hours for the paint to be touch dry between layers/coats but again this may be over-cautious.  FTR the base (yellow), second (orange) and top (red) coats used 8, 5 and 3 ml of paint respectively, in a single operation for each layer.

The acrylic paint is fairly thick - thick enough not to flow out of the 18 ml pots it comes in when they are inverted, but perhaps less thick than paint from an artists tube.

The original intention was to re-finish the bowl to wood after painting but the clean inner edge of the paint and the overall look led us to leave it as it is. 

The wax (or any) finish I am now not sure about - perhaps the piece should have been left unfinished (a pre-wax pic is attached), or perhaps coated with a paint-wettable smooth surface before painting.  For the future I think.  The acrylic paint (obviously water-based) does raise the grain a bit.  And perhaps oak is not an ideal wood for this.

The operation is much less messy than you might imagine - only the yellow layer spins out drops, easily caught on newspaper!

Comments welcome!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 01:20:18 PM by willstewart »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Spin-painted Decorated Plate
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 10:40:48 AM »
Hi ,If you look up Stewart Furini on youtube he has done a lot of paint spinning projects

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 10:44:32 AM »
Thanks!  Fun and some great effects although nothing quite the same.  Perhaps it is more original than I thought!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 03:45:14 PM »
Quite a few turners have had a go at this  :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »
Yes, although when I looked I could not find any help!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 04:30:25 PM »
In fact there used to be a lot more feedback on this forum - there are quite a few views on (all) postings but not much feedback - to those who look do comment, even if it is 'I do not much like this!"

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 05:39:31 AM »
One I found on a quick ytube video , The paint spinning starts at 3.30 , When Stewart does his he uses a flow medium to mahe the paint more runny and uses a paint brush to apply the paint,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAhwVZxrDA

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 05:40:46 AM »

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 07:08:06 AM »
A good try yes there are lots of methods of doing this. I have also done this in the past. I will say that I feel that the centre bowl section could do without being coloured. Not my colour choice but as I keep saying to my wife with the colours of her knitting there is someone out there that will love it, so don't be put off as it is always a matter of what someone likes

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
Derek - thanks!  I have also done traditional decorated plates with wooden bowls and rings etc, but this developed into something different!

And yes Wood Spinner a runny paint gives a different effect but I like the 'splatter' effect here and have some ideas for developing this - seems to be different anyway.  I did various experiments first but decided on this.  I guess colours are a matter of choice - of course any colours would do.  I have a blue-black concept for next time.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »
Interesting, I seem to remember that we had a demo of this effect at my club. The surface in this case looks very rough. Is this due to the paint used, technique or the wood surface itself? Can I assume it will be given a clear coat of some type to protect it.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
Bill - it has a wax coating, but you are right it is rough.  Of course it was very smooth before painting but the damp in the acrylic paint raised the grain.  Hence I will apply a sealing coat before painting next time!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 10:29:17 AM »
Bill - it has a wax coating, but you are right it is rough.  Of course it was very smooth before painting but the damp in the acrylic paint raised the grain.  Hence I will apply a sealing coat before painting next time!

I look forward to seeing that.  :)