Author Topic: Finish Question  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Finish Question
« on: May 26, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

Finish question, if I may,

I’ve started experimenting using water based paint on bowls,

The wood needs to be prepared in advance otherwise the colours will just bleed into each other,

I sand the wood down to 400g and apply 3 coats of diluted Cellulose Sanding Sealer, rubbing down between coats, this gives the paint a key,

When the paint is fully dry, because it just lays on the surface, it is fragile and would easily rub off or scratch,

To protect the painting I have tried spraying the surface with 3 coats of Acrylic Satin Lacquer, leaving each coat to dry fully, lightly rubbing down between coats,

The paint is now protected,

I noticed that if I lightly rub my fingernail across the surface, and I really do mean lightly, it leaves a milky scuff mark, the paint stays where it’s meant to but the satin lacquer can become damaged relatively easily,

I normally use wax on bowls so I don’t have much knowledge of other finishes, tissue with wax will scuff some of the design, it can be that fragile,

My Question:

If I was to use Melamine Gloss Lacquer or perhaps Acrylic Gloss Lacquer would the surface be more ‘robust’ and less susceptible to damage or can anyone suggest something else please,

I’m suggesting that gloss is stronger in some way and less vulnerable to scuffing,

Thanks.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline jay

• copper
Re: Finish Question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 11:28:13 AM »
    Most sanding sealers for wood contain stearates wax like substances that reduce loading of abrasives etc . i would try to seal the wood with a water based sealer .Possibly a diluted acrylic  before using the colour . I suggest that the problem may be be solved by staying with all acrylic finishes . Possibly if you used spirit based or shellac bases with the cellulose adhesion would be better. However I would suggest staying with acrylics and experiment further on some scrap . One point though using acrylic to seal will raise grain so further light sanding and possible reapplication may be needed to build a smooth base   

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
Terry from Chestnut products said in his newsletter recently that you shouldn't lacquer over multiple coats of sanding sealer as the sanding sealer does not adhere to itself and can cause slippage issues in the finish. I am no expert in these finishes but he is, so I would believe it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
Terry from Chestnut products said in his newsletter recently that you shouldn't lacquer over multiple coats of sanding sealer as the sanding sealer does not adhere to itself and can cause slippage issues in the finish. I am no expert in these finishes but he is, so I would believe it.

That’s worth knowing, thanks for posting.

I can’t think when/if I’ve ever added multiple coats of SS but I must remember this!

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 12:54:43 PM »
Hello Jay, many thanks for your ideas and suggestions, it does seem more complicated than I initially though experiment seem to be the order.

Hello Pete (TT), I think, but I’m not sure, that relates to undiluted sealer, many thanks for stopping by,

Hello Bill, thanks for taking part.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:36:18 PM »
Hello Pete (TT), I think, but I’m not sure, that relates to undiluted sealer, many thanks for stopping by,

Diluted or undiluted makes no difference if layers of sealer don't adhere to each other. I often use 2 or 3 coats of diluted sealer under wax, but that unlike lacquer is a semi fluid finish that can move.

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/air-purge-again-dates-and-coats/ is where the comment on single coat only under lacquer was mentioned.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »
Many thanks Pete.