Author Topic: Wood Identification  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Wood Identification
« on: May 03, 2022, 02:27:51 PM »
This is a bit of a long shot but hope someone can help.
Tree felled in a very inaccessible corner of a local nature reserve situated in old watercress beds so very boggy.  Photos show cut wood (which I want to harvest) which quickly weathers to a distinctive rich orange colour. Associated pictures of what I think is a sapling of the same tree with photos of the leaves.  Wood seems very light in weight

I have a suspicion of what it might be (in which case it will be worth harvesting!), but will not say until I have some independent suggestions.

Complete sapling

Leaves of sapling

Leaves and bark

Cut stump showing details of the wood which has weathered to an orange

Many thanks

Tim

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Wood Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
Pretty sure that is Alder
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 08:19:59 PM »
I agree with Pete...the bark looks right, the leaves look right and the timber is the right colour.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:27:05 AM »
Pete and Les
Very many thanks for your opinions.  That is indeed what I thought it was.
I'm assuming that it is a fairly attractive turning wood and it will be worth while to harvest a few pieces.  Les you recently posted an Alder turned item HERE so I would be most grateful for any turning tips.

If successful I'll post a finished item in the Forum gallery.

Thanks again

Tim

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
common alder, Alnus glutinosa...

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 11:27:50 AM »
common alder, Alnus glutinosa...
Many thanks Steve.
Tim

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:23:26 PM »
...... I would be most grateful for any turning tips

Tim

Hi Tim...I've made several items out of alder and the main issue has always been one of dealing with what is a fairly soft and highly absorbent timber. The usual precautions of sharp tools, finer and finer cuts before extensive sanding, need to be followed. Sanding sealer tends to be absorbed rapidly, making a wax finish a bit of a bind, so I tend to use Aerosol acrylic lacquer whenever I work this wood...but it's all worth it for that lovely, rich colour.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
Hi Tim...I've made several items out of alder and the main issue has always been one of dealing with what is a fairly soft and highly absorbent timber. The usual precautions of sharp tools, finer and finer cuts before extensive sanding, need to be followed. Sanding sealer tends to be absorbed rapidly, making a wax finish a bit of a bind, so I tend to use Aerosol acrylic lacquer whenever I work this wood...but it's all worth it for that lovely, rich colour.
Les
Many thanks for that advice Les.  As regards finishing I was thinking I might try several coats of Finishing Oil followed by buffing and a final buff using Microcrystalline wax.  I'll post in the gallery when done.  Am just waiting for permission to collect the wood from the borough council who own the land, so turning let alone finishing, a very long way off yet!