Author Topic: One for the chuck guru’s  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Docjohn

• iron
Re: One for the chuck guru’s
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 06:42:08 AM »
Hi Pete
Thanks for posting the video, could I ask is the back plate exactly the same dimensions/layout as the old Axminster precision chuck ?
Regards
John

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »
I can’t help but have a look here as there may be some relevance.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks/4-Jaw-Self-Centring-Cast-Iron-Lathe-Chucks-Chinese-Origin

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/Info/Lathe-Chuck-Dimensions-Diagram-2019.pdf

4” engineering chucks are virtually the same (apart from the jaws) and have a 72mm register on the back. Bolt circles may be the same?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2022, 12:29:53 PM »
Hi Pete
Thanks for posting the video, could I ask is the back plate exactly the same dimensions/layout as the old Axminster precision chuck ?
Regards
John

Hi John

I would say yes probably... first pic is super precision on right Versa on left. Second pic is centres of screw holes top calliper Super Precision bottom Versa
p.s. I was talking to the company about doing another video on jaws, it was mentioned that 25 chucks are being flown in expected in 4 weeks with more coming by ship some time after, so if you want one of the 25, set up a notification for when they come in and be quick!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 12:33:59 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »
Thanks so much Pete
My lathe has a flange the the super precision chuck bolts straight onto with no backplate- so no worries about going in either direction

I was worried when they stopped producing the super precision in favour of the SK115 😳
Thanks again
John

Offline lumsdep

• iron
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2022, 05:20:56 PM »
I have both a Versachuck’s and Axminster super precision chuck’s and can confirm that the backplates are interchangeable. I have used Beaufort inks backplates to fit my chucks when changing lathes/threads.

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 06:39:53 AM »
Thanks Lumsdep
That’s a relief I have my email notification set up

This is what’s brilliant about this forum!
Kind regards
John

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 08:14:58 AM »
I have Axminister sk114 chuck , brilliant chuck ! I now need more carriers for my spare jaws ,which are £80 for two sets ,do any other carriers fit this chuck successfully ?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 11:50:08 AM »
I have Axminister sk114 chuck , brilliant chuck ! I now need more carriers for my spare jaws ,which are £80 for two sets ,do any other carriers fit this chuck successfully ?

None that I am aware of. would be interested if you find any £40 a set is a lot on top of the jaw price.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)