Author Topic: One for the chuck guru’s  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
One for the chuck guru’s
« on: April 16, 2022, 10:42:08 AM »
I have a couple of versa chucks and an Axminster precision which I know take different jaw carrier’s I also have a versa chuck 3 and here lies the problem my versa chuck or Axminster jaw carriers will not fit. So why don’t the versa chuck carriers work and any suggestions as to where I can obtain some relevant jaw carriers.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: One for the chuck guru’s
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 10:47:53 AM »
https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/ have taken over the chuck from Toolpost and can possibly assist.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 10:54:31 AM »
You beat me to it Pete!  ;D

Edit: I’d be interested in knowing how good a fit the jaws are when you get them. From my experience jaws in woodturning chucks (some Woodturners call slides) are notoriously slack compared to the jaws in metalwork chucks. For this reason I’ve been contemplating getting a Versa chuck in the hope they are a more precision fit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 11:05:48 AM by Bill21 »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 12:02:21 PM »

Edit: I’d be interested in knowing how good a fit the jaws are when you get them. From my experience jaws in woodturning chucks (some Woodturners call slides) are notoriously slack compared to the jaws in metalwork chucks. For this reason I’ve been contemplating getting a Versa chuck in the hope they are a more precision fit.

I have just bought one Bill it will arrive soon, plan is to leave my Axminster cole jaws on it permanently. I will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Though I do wonder why you think precision fit is an advantage when the medium we work with grows, shrinks, changes shape, can be spongy, and has stress fractures from when it was felled that may or may not be in the region you are putting in the chuck!  ;D 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »

I do wonder why you think precision fit is an advantage.

Given they aren’t any cheaper I wonder why self centering four jaw scroll chucks manufactured for wood turning aren’t made with the same precision as metal work chucks. Need really has nothing to do with it of course. If you only ever turn bowls or other large stuff it’s not an issue. If you’ve also never used a metal work lathe then you’d also probably not notice how poor a fit some chuck jaws are. If you turn smaller stuff like boxes though an 1/8” out here or there makes a huge difference.

As a metalwork tools manufacturer,  I suspect the polish Bison chucks made for Axminster years ago are made to a higher standard than some WW chucks I’ve seen but I’ve not had the chance to examine one. If a decent example - not like the rusty banged up examples seen for sale recently - came up at a fair price I’d probably buy one. Second option would be the Versachuck, hence my earlier request.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 04:10:27 PM »
The two versa chucks I already use are very precise I just can’t understand why their carriers do not fit the versa Chuck three - curious
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 10:00:23 PM »
The two versa chucks I already use are very precise I just can’t understand why their carriers do not fit the versa Chuck three - curious

Thanks for that. Perhaps just a different manufacturer? It only takes a slight difference in jaw dimensions or even the scroll for them not to fit. There’s never been a standard for these things that I’m aware of.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »
This makes you wonder why some (woodturning) chucks are so expensive. 100mm four jaw self Centering scroll chuck £67.15 inc vat.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks/4-Jaw-Self-Centring-Cast-Iron-Lathe-Chucks-Chinese-Origin

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
This makes you wonder why some (woodturning) chucks are so expensive. 100mm four jaw self Centering scroll chuck £67.15 inc vat.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks/4-Jaw-Self-Centring-Cast-Iron-Lathe-Chucks-Chinese-Origin

Don't think those come with a back plate to fit the spindle, by the time you include that cost they are not particularly cheap compared to Record Power / Nova etc. with a much restricted jaw availability.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »
Don't think those come with a back plate to fit the spindle, by the time you include that cost they are not particularly cheap compared to Record Power / Nova etc. with a much restricted jaw availability.

You seem to have misunderstood. It was the principle, I wasn’t suggesting using one on a wood turning lathe. They don’t come with a backplate as they don’t need one. ;)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 11:45:36 PM »

Hi Bill chuck arrived today I did an unboxing video on it very little slop on the jaw carriers https://youtu.be/gfUjPgsQQwU
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:45:35 PM by Twisted Trees »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »
Thanks for that Pete. I may get one of those when they’re back in stock.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 07:38:07 PM »
Ooops! Don't know if it was a badly timed video when they were already out or if the video caused a rush! but several people have told me they are out of stock at the moment...

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 07:44:28 PM »

Hi Pete,

The YouTube link you posted is incorrect - it took me to a review you did of an auger drill bit. 

Cheers,

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 08:46:14 PM »

Hi Pete,

The YouTube link you posted is incorrect - it took me to a review you did of an auger drill bit. 

Cheers,

Sorry should have double checked... will check this after posting! https://youtu.be/gfUjPgsQQwU

Edit:- Checked correct...