Author Topic: Wood suppliers  (Read 2741 times)

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
Wood suppliers
« on: April 10, 2022, 07:11:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to list out some suppliers of exotic woods in the UK.
I have a few commissions and am struggling to find Jatoba and Hickory,
I need spindle blanks 2x2 inch and at least 6ft long or timber I can cut them from.

Can anyone recommend who would stock this or where to try, I have tried all the turner suppliers that I can think of.

Thanks in advance

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wood suppliers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 08:15:30 PM »
Would it not be better to give a moment's consideration for the carbon footprint of timber moved half way around a planet when there are more than enough trees growing on your doorstep? Whilst I, like so many turners, revelled in the amazement of the exotics when I learned to turn, I have long since adopted a policy of buying timber that grows within an hour's travel of my home. We owe it to the planet that supports us.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 10:06:38 PM »
Would it not be better to give a moment's consideration for the carbon footprint of timber moved half way around a planet when there are more than enough trees growing on your doorstep? Whilst I, like so many turners, revelled in the amazement of the exotics when I learned to turn, I have long since adopted a policy of buying timber that grows within an hour's travel of my home. We owe it to the planet that supports us.

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with you, most of my stock I collect around home on the country roads where trees have been cut down or blown over in the wind.
The reason I need these specific pieces is due to their intended use, they are for a karate club out of which some ancient karate weapons are going to be made, it has been requested due to the strength weight and bending properties. Under normal circumstances it is of utmost importance to me to support local industry and again local stock.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:10:56 AM »
Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 12:40:32 PM »

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with you, most of my stock I collect around home on the country roads where trees have been cut down or blown over in the wind.
The reason I need these specific pieces is due to their intended use, they are for a karate club out of which some ancient karate weapons are going to be made, it has been requested due to the strength weight and bending properties. Under normal circumstances it is of utmost importance to me to support local industry and again local stock.

the only place i know that sells both is Yandles but they won't always have it in.

Robinia would be a good substitute for the Hickory if you can't get it.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 05:07:54 PM »

I believe Robinia is or was a popular choice for tool handles in Germany.

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 08:55:14 AM »

From checking the properties it does look a close match but then again where to get it becomes a problem.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 10:33:54 AM »

From checking the properties it does look a close match but then again where to get it becomes a problem.

Yandles supply that too.

https://www.yandles.co.uk/acacia-kd-european-woodturning-blanks/p26537

i'm sure you could talk to them about getting the sizes you require...

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

Given that Ash has been used on tool handles and other other items in this country for hundreds of years I have to wonder what they’re doing with these “weapons”.  ::)
A friend of mine used to go to Historical reenactments ( Cavaliers v Roundheads) and they used to use Ash for their Pikestaffs. Historically accurate, I don’t remember hearing about broken ones.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 02:20:31 PM »
As Steve says, call Yandles they are a sawmill not just a stockist and have cut custom sizes for me in the past. Or use Ash and enjoy the repeat orders when they break them  ::)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 06:23:40 PM »
As Steve says, call Yandles they are a sawmill not just a stockist and have cut custom sizes for me in the past. Or use Ash and enjoy the repeat orders when they break them  ::)

I think that is the best idea make them look good but not to last too long :)

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »

Given that Ash has been used on tool handles and other other items in this country for hundreds of years I have to wonder what they’re doing with these “weapons”.  ::)
A friend of mine used to go to Historical reenactments ( Cavaliers v Roundheads) and they used to use Ash for their Pikestaffs. Historically accurate, I don’t remember hearing about broken ones.

Not that they are breaking but ending up with a surface full of dents, the problem is they have historically had them in hickory so I suppose a old mindset on there part maybe I need to try changing there mind :)

Offline SimonGibson

• iron
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 06:38:15 PM »
On another note does anyone know who to get veneer from I am after a rather large section to cover a dining room table.

Thanks

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 03:42:47 PM »

I believe that the wood needs to be 'ding' resistant, as the edges of the dings can cause injury. These are likely to be some sort of striking weapon at speed unlike the sort of action you would take with a pike.