Author Topic: Holly  (Read 832 times)

Offline jay

• copper
Holly
« on: April 08, 2022, 01:52:47 PM »
   I have been given 2 holly logs each about 9" dia and 20" long . How should I handle this to avoid the grey colour that  I have managed to get in the past . I want to turn a few bowls and like the whiteness of the wood The tree was felled yesterday and so far I have just sealed the end cuts  with end seal  Thank you  for considering my dilemma

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Holly
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 02:02:37 PM »

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 03:51:05 PM »
I've tried turning solid Holly a number of times with disappointing results. Even when I've manage to keep its whiteness I tended to find, when/if used alone,
 its not the nice, wholesome white I expected. A case of too much of a good thing.
 Nowadays I tend to cut logs into much smaller pieces, dry them and then use as a contrast with other timbers in  glued-up work. The Holly then lifts the whole project and looks at its most beautiful best.
Brian

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »
I think that you may find that the main problem is drying the logs without extensive cracking.  I would give the ends of the logs three coats of End Seal and put in a cool not too dry storage area to season very slowly.