Author Topic: Nova DVR 3000 fault  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Woodworm

• iron
Nova DVR 3000 fault
« on: April 05, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
Hi,
I see posts on this forum from 10 years ago that my current problem has been shared by others, but without any conclusive fixes.
My trusty DVR 3000 Serial No: 3302,  has developed a problem. When I power the machine on at the headstock toggle switch I get the usual start screen which reads:

TEKNATOOL INT.
04.22ms   2004

then:

READY TO START AT 500rpm.

I then start the lathe running and it runs for thirty or so seconds after which the screen goes blank and it shuts down unresponsive. I switch off the power  switch and even  though switched off,  the screen reappears after another thirty or so seconds, briefly displaying the aforementioned start screen, then goes blank after three or four seconds. At this stage I can switch on the power again and the whole sequence will repeat itself. I've also tried changing the program from NORMAL to HARD then SOFT but no difference there either.
The power supply and lead are OK and I've removed both the sheet metal covers and checked all the electrical connections are firmly plugged together, also the same for the display housing/control panel. I also blew any dust out of the headstock housing with a blower.  I would greatly appreciate any advice anybody can offer.

Woodworm    ??? ???

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Nova DVR 3000 fault
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 11:16:44 AM »
Have you raised the problem with https://www.teknatool.com/ ?
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Woodworm

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 07:52:58 PM »
I sent  an email to sales@teknatool.com describing the fault. I also started a ticket on the Teknatool website, but I don't expect a response yet.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 10:24:42 PM »
How free running is the headstock spindle? You may need to slacken the belt to check.

Offline Woodworm

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 11:38:46 AM »
The Nova DVR 3000 is direct drive & doesn;t use any belts, and the headstock spindle turns freely.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 12:03:17 PM »
I was told that the nova lathe suffers from a build up of dust on an eternal sensor and blowing it out with air will sort the lathe out. But in most cases it turns out to require a new circuit board and they are not cheap. Hope that a few blasts of air sorts your one out. Les.

Offline cpw01

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »
Hi Woodworm

I had a similar problem with my Nova DVR about 18 months ago. In my case it only managed a couple of revolutions before stopping with ‘Run time error’ or ‘RPS 0’ errors. If you have not already tried it you can take the Optical detector board out and clean it but that had no effect in my case.
After much discussion with Turners Retreat/Craft Supplies, who seem to be the main agents, it was decided that a replacement Main circuit board and control panel was needed. Cost just shy of £500 and did solve the problem. It does however brings it up to the latest Saturn spec with an extra 5 presets and other features.
If you want any more info please come back to me.

Colin

Offline Woodworm

• iron
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 05:57:44 PM »
Thanks Colin, unfortunately I don't get any errors at all, just a total sudden shut down. This week I intend to remove the boards & check the tightness of the connections on the 6 pin Molex connector. I'm sorry to have to say it, but I found Teknatool of no help whatsoever, they just referred me to Turners Retreat. I'll keep you posted on any progress I make.
Merv

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 07:22:15 AM »
I'm sorry to have to say it, but I found Teknatool of no help whatsoever,

That is exactly my experience of them, they don't read the question that you ask properly then give you the answer that you have already told them you have tried. Useless support which is a shame as I like the lathe.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 05:30:18 AM »
I had no end of problems with my DVR ended up scraping it , A lot less stress , Never again !!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »
I was looking at buying a milling machine many years ago and a likely used example came up at a good price not far from me. I did my research and the general advice was not to touch it as the motor was built into the head. A potentially very expensive repair if the motor failed. Belt driven machines are relatively easy to re-motor if they fail. In fact many old machines seem to have three phase motors and inverters retrofitted. Given what’s been said I wouldn’t touch a DVR new or used. £500 for a circuit board?!  :o

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 01:40:05 PM »
Someone on fbook trying to sell a Nova DVR XP non working  for £350

Offline Woodworm

• iron
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »
Hi All,
Just returned after 8 months working away & I'm now back on trying to fix the DVR 3000! Teknatool pointed me in the direction of Turners Retreat but replacement circuitry will only be my last option. The following is an update on my progress.
              The lathe runs and it runs for thirty or so seconds after which the screen goes blank and it shuts down unresponsive. I switch off the power switch,wait for 30 seconds, and then I can switch on the power again and the whole sequence will repeat itself.
    I've removed both the sheet metal covers and checked all the electrical connections are firmly plugged together, also the same for the display housing/control panel. I've also removed the main power board and slightly expanded the  pins in the 6 pin Molex  stator winding connector but after reassembly it still misfunctions as before. I also blew any dust out of the headstock housing with a blower.
Any ideas Guys?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 11:48:13 AM by Woodworm »

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 07:35:12 AM »
It sounds like one of the components is getting too hot and breaking down. Unfortunately there is no circuit diagram available for the main board, however, that may change as there is a law going through the US at the moment that says circuit diagrams must be made available to end users. If that passes you may be able to get hold of a copy and get a local electronics expert to check / repair it. I have a complete DVR sitting here with a defective main board that I will not pay £500 to repair I am waiting for the circuit diagram being available.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 10:30:44 AM »
Weren’t Nova the company that introduced a chuck that tightened the opposite way to every other chuck on the market?  ::) I believe they’ve now corrected that with the latest version.  ;)