Author Topic: Is a Tyme cub a good place to start?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline wilf1234

• iron
Is a Tyme cub a good place to start?
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »
Hi all,

I've very kindly received a Tyme cub lathe, mounted on a ply sheet for free. It is however missing the Chuck

Is this lathe a good place for a complete novice like me to start my woodturning journey?
Is the replacement chuck easy to find, or are they just standard fittings?
.....and if so, is it worth the additional investment on this lathe or would it be better to start afresh elsewhere?

Many thanks for any wisdom that you can share.

Cheers

W

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Is a Tyme cub a good place to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 01:52:13 PM »
That should be a good little lathe as a starter. Lathes such as this weren't sold with a chuck, so it's chuck isn't "missing", as such. You'll need to determine the thread size for the main spindle, so that you can source a chuck.

You might find lots of info about it on the www.lathes.co.uk web site at http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 05:57:16 PM »
According to this http://www.peterchild.co.uk/chucks/threads.htm the Tyme Cub has  a 20mm x 2mm which is quite unique so not likely that modern chucks would be made to fit it. If it comes with a face plate then look up glue chuck video's on YouTube and use that instead to get you started, if not try and source some nuts to fit the thread, I have made a couple of faceplates one as a sanding / friction plate and a glue chuck for my lathe on M33 x 3.5 nuts which are easy and useful you can find my video's on making those on YouTube, but it is simply glue the nut into a block / disk of wood screw it on then true it up on the lathe.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:48:34 PM »
Tyme lathes are good quality. As said you will need to do a bit of research to get a chuck top fit but apart from that the only downsize will be what you can turn size wise. Much safer and better than many of the cheaper end modern lathes IMHO. Used a Tyme Avon (next size up) for years and loved it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »
The Cub was offered with an option of a 3/4" x 16 thread, so it could be either that, or the 20x2
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.