Author Topic: Hands on nights  (Read 1061 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Hands on nights
« on: February 24, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »
My club are back having F2F meetings, we have been since November. Now we are coming up to a hands on night and there is a discussion about what could take place on hands on nights that would be  of interest to new and established turners. One of my suggestions was having a go at thread chasing and we regularly have one of our club professionals showing how to use the skew,so in order to help out my club and impart information to many others in the same position can I have some suggestions please?

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Hands on nights
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
Segmenting

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:33:28 PM »
Sharpening is always popular at our annual hands on night.

Usually one of our semi pros brings a sample of systems, and demonstrates how to use them, and also help correct badly sharpened tools.

John

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:12:11 PM »
Sharpening is also popular at my club. We have three separate stations, Pro Edge, bench grinder and Tormek or similar.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
Thanks all.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 10:44:45 AM »
I think in the past we have had hollowing sessions using different tools and there is talk of a ball turning workshop with and without jigs.

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »
Maybe go outside direct turning - pyrography kit / airbrushing / carving by hand / power carving with rotary bits / texturing on lathe with Sorby or similar tools / texturing off lathe with all sorts & gilding cream to highlight. 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 09:10:17 PM »
Making tool handles might go down well. I make my own metal inserts or use cheap collet chucks for them but you could make ordinary ones with a simple ferrule.