Author Topic: Celtic Goblet  (Read 2333 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Celtic Goblet
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:28:50 AM »
Another competition piece.  I have never been quite sure about wooden goblets (what exactly are they for!) but have admired some examples.  So challenged for one here is my effort.  I chose to do the 45 degree cut/veneer glued in 'celtic knot' technique often used for pens, with an additional ring also glued in on the base.  The veneers are (white) tulipwood and the rest mahogany. The latter from a single piece, but not made in one piece.  So after the veneers are glued in the initially square piece is rounded and the outside of the bowl formed and sanded, but with an additional 30mm or so long by 24mm diameter stud on the base (see pic).  The bowl plus stud are then (hand) sawn off and the interior of the bowl hollowed out.  I did this because I did not think holding the far (stem) end, as opposed to the stud, would be firm enough for hollowing.  Then a 24mm diameter shallow (~10mm) hole was drilled in the end of the remaining stem section which was fitted with a removable plug to enable the stem to be turned between centres. The bowl stud is sawn off short before glueing into the finished stem (with the grain matched up).

This worked OK though hollowing was still tricky - started with a 25mm Forstner bit and eventually, after experimenting with other tools, finished with a 12mm carbide disk tool which could be seen as a hollower.  The resulting interior is OK but not perfect - not least because this is all done by feel - one cannot see what one is doing! Some sanding also required. The interior is quite deep to the base (leaving around 10mm thickness at the bottom as opposed to the ~2-3mm side walls) but not all the way down to preserve the celtic pattern as seen on the inside.  Finish danish oil (2 coats) followed by microcrystalline wax (all done by hand - not on the lathe).

The result is not perfect - I incorrectly assumed that the larger object would require less accurate 45 degree cuts so did not use the jig I normally would with pens, and the base ring veneer insert is two layers thick which works better than the single layers in the bowl.  I could do better next time (if there is one!).  Hope of interest anyway.

Offline willstewart

• gold
Re: Celtic Goblet
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
correct 2nd goblet pic)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:40:59 AM »
Nice work, especially the Celtic knot. I must have made hundreds of goblets over the years and always make them to be used. Mostly popular with re-enactment groups and people drinking mead, cider beer etc. I used to hollow out with a spindle gouge but nowadays use  hook tool.I make them so that the rim is very thin and they gradually get thicker as they go down to give them strength. I finish with a 2 coat lacquer that is waterproof and alcohol resistant. Recently got directed to a couple of books on wood treen through the ages and started doing some replica ones again.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
bodrighywood - thanks!  And I stand corrected - what sort of lacquer do you use?  I used Danish oil as relatively waterproof but I imagine not really enough for immersion.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:20:23 AM »
I use rustins plasticote about 5+ coats at least inside and out. I have had to try and repair communion goblets that were oiled. The red wine had eaten through the oil and stained the wood red to the point of going pink on the outside. Also if it is to be used the oil can flavour the drink. Other alternative if you want to be really traditional is to use only harder woods (ideally fruit woods) and don't coat at all. It would be OK to drink from and to heck with the colouring. A favourite centuries ago was actually either fruit woods or lignum vitae when that became available.
Here's a few of the ones I have made over the years. Stopped posting them as there were just too many LOL

Pete

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 10:28:29 AM »
Pete - they look great!  I like the idea of a wedding goblet pair. Does it matter if the lacquer is spray or liquid?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:40 AM »
Ideally I would imagine a spray would give a better coat but I have never tried it. As far as I am aware you would have to mix it and use in a gun. Not seen it in a rattle can. Happy to stand corrected though.

Pete

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 04:16:25 PM »
Pete - taking your advice here is a similar goblet with a lignum vitae bowl, and ash stem (the latter with a light oil coating). It appears liquid tight and we wil try and see how it goes!

The interior is still tricky near the base where the tool tends to drag - I will think about this.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 04:18:34 PM »
sorry - now in jpeg format

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
I use a French curve scraper to clean the bottom of the goblet. The wood should be liquid tight, more a case of it staining if used with red wine ion particular. Doubt the originals bothered too much LOL. LV was used for ships bearings and the fenders in docks because of it's watertight properties amongst other things and is an oily wood anyway so should be fine.
Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 08:31:32 PM »
sorry - now in jpeg format

nice use of some Argentine lignum there. it's one of my favorite timbers.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »
FTR a pair in progress (no finish on the ripple sycamore bases as these will be pyroed).

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 03:40:24 PM »
FTR my original goblet (the celtic one) was placed third!  Competition entries below