Author Topic: Chestnut Gilt Cream  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Chestnut Gilt Cream
« on: January 25, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »
I’ve got two pots of this stuff and both of them dried up in the jar. I read that it can be reclaimed by adding some white spirit but that didn’t work very well. Any other suggestions?

I’m intrigued as to how it can dry out in a sealed container so I’m guessing the jars they come in are not ideal.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
Re: Chestnut Gilt Cream
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 03:56:49 PM »
Did you just stir it in, the discussion on Briwax seems to indicate that you have to gently heat the wax before adding the turps.

John

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »
From Terry Smart of Chestnut finishes:
"The Gilt Creams can be brought back to a more user-friendly consistency by adding some white spirit to them. Warm them in a water bath (keep away from naked flames!) and stir in a little. You could also add some linseed oil if you wanted, this will make it creamier."
I've tried it, and it works just fine
Duncan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I did try stirring it but that didn’t help. I didn’t think to apply some gentle heat so I’ll give that a go.  ;)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 12:59:01 AM »
I revive my waxes by melting them in a water bath and adding some turps or turps substitute. You have to mix it a few times as it cools to make sure the metallic particles don't settle out.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 07:48:41 AM »
Or work quicker to produce more work so that you use the cream before it dries out......the same way as you drive faster to get to the petrol station before you run out of fuel. Just sayin. ;D ;D ;D

Offline MelanieS

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »
I had the same issue and emailed chestnut, their response is in line with the previous respondents to your question i.e. "A few drops of White Spirit should bring your Gilt Cream back to life. Pour a little into the jar and leave until you see an improvement.Standing the jar in a bowl of warm water will help speed the process up."