Author Topic: new member  (Read 954 times)

Offline charlie r

• iron
« on: February 02, 2022, 08:36:39 PM »
Hello Everyone,
Hope you are all well in these difficult times. Like a few other posts I'm new to this forum and just joined the association. Been woodturning on and off since 2005 and now in the early months of retirement. Got the lathe out, put the car out (of the garage) and re-vampted the garage to a workshop during lockdown last year.  Upgraded to a new lathe just before christmas, and looking forward to joining-in with the discussions and bouncing off ideas to learn more from the more experienced wood turners.

Just a query if I may; - Our local Authority has identified Ash-Die Back in the surrounding area. Since before christmas they have been thining-out and cutting some large trees (quite a lot of it). They have left some of the branches on the ground which vary in size of 50mm to 400mm diameter which look quite clean where cut. Would someone be able to comment on whether Ash that has been cut due to this condition is able to be turned and if so, how would one recognise the condition in a freshly cut branch and avoid if not safe to turn?

Looking forward to comments

Regards

Charlie r

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 09:08:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Charlie. I’m sorry I can’t help with your wood query but I’m sure someone on here can advise.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 12:38:11 AM »
Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, this is what I found on the forest research website :-

Spread of chalara ash dieback in wood is considered to be a low risk, so ash wood from infected as well as uninfected sites may continue to be moved without restriction within Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).

However, we strongly recommend the simple precaution of brushing leaf and shoot material from logs, firewood and vehicles before they leave the site. This is a precaution against the possibility that the disease might be present, but not obviously apparent, and could be spread unintentionally with logs and firewood.

Offline charlie r

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »
morning Paul & Bill,

thanks for your replies and welcome support to my posting. It's good to hear that the Ash would not cause a problem. I intend to acquire some off-cuts, wash with the garden pressure hose, cut to size and store them under ventilated cover for a year or so before using them. It's just the opportunity to acquire some turning blanks of different sizes

Many Thanks

Charlie

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »
Good plan Charlie. Seal the ends to stop the timber cracking. PVA or even old paint is better than nothing if you don’t want to buy proper sealer.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »
Welcome Charlie,

I agree with the Ash being a great source especially if felled by local authority, They will fell many healthy trees that just happen to be near public access, as a precaution against them later getting the disease. So it is almost a duty to grab as much as possible before it all gets chipped into furnace fuel.

Ash is a wonderful wood to work, it can be cut wet, part seasoned, or dry with some caveat each has it's merits.  The hard / soft grain can give a great natural texture especially if burned. Cuts well, takes colour well, has a nice weight all in all a great timber to work with.

Avoid the leaf material leave that where it fell the timber and bark are fine.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:25:25 PM »
Hello and welcome
Just a thought , Best contact your local authorities and ask if it's ok to take / remove these branches / logs , Keep on the safe side .

Offline charlie r

• iron
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks Bill & TT,

will check with the guys cutting as they are still in the area. Much appreceiated for the tips on sealing the ends - plenty of PVA from working days in the construction industry

Cheers 

C